Quitting Smoking

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Just as PlyKins said, when your ready, you will lnpw it, when that day comes, we'll all be here for you :cool: Once you truly decide, its easy, not as hard as what i thought it would be.. The worst part for me was the thinking about my quit date..
Rick

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004

Yep! :nod:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
11 months :aj:
is everyone else still a quitter? :)

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I figured there's a few of you at 11 mos. and coming up on 1 year. :) Cool! I just passed the 8 mo. mark. I'm now to the point where I can't remember the last time I felt the urge to have a smoke. :cool:

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
The 'plan' now is Christmas Break. Was a little nervous about trying to quit and freaking out while attempting schoolwork, but was mainly looking for excuses.

I have an appointment with my primary care doc on Dec. 27, to see if he'll write a script for Zyban or something along those lines.

Has anyone tried that, and does it work/help?

Maybe if I get all that then, I could quit for New Year's.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
RIght on MX!! ANd too everybody else too :aj: :aj:

AssistSuper, when i quit, i went through a program, kinda like a AA for smokers, i did the patch.. if you go on Zyban, make sure that you do not sneak a smoke at all (even w/the patch) reason being, if you decide too smoke again, it will take more nicotine too satisfy your craving.. Good luck w/it, i hope it works for you :cool: :cool:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I'm at 1 year 7 months come Dec 28th! :aj: :aj:

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
AssistSuper,
I used Wilbutrin and the patches. It worked for me. You have got the right idea!!!!!!!!! That's what I did last year, quit on the 1st. Go for it dude!!!!!! We will help all we can.
MXSparx,
I'm at 11 months and still going!!! Funniest thing though. Last night, I dreamed I had taken two packs of cigs out of my brother's carton and was going to smoke them where no one could see me. Never got to smoke them in my dream though. So I am still smoke free in dream land and real life! :cool:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Wellbutrin, Zyban, and the patch all HELP you to quit smoking but they won't do the work for you. Keep this in mind when you go for it. I'm sure everyone else here will agree that no matter what aids they used, it all came down to having the drive to STOP. Looking back (I used the patch and it did help alot) I think I could've quit no matter what because I knew I was ready. You're going to have cravings regardless of any aids you use. It's all about keeping those cravings in check. Good luck and remember that the more effort you put into quitting the higher your success rate.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
I've actually gone to meetings like you speak of rickyd when I was was a junior or so in high school. I just didn't have the desire to quit.

I'm Indian and the tribe does smoking cessation for free, along with giving you free patches. I was an avid dipper at the time. I managed to quit that, but picked up the smoking habit right after. :bang:

If I recall, I need to clean out everything of mine that smells smokey, clean the inside of the truck....throw away all "paraphanelia"

I'm kinda liking the idea of kicking it on New Year's. It'll be just a few days after I see the doc. May work out well.

I woke up today coughing up some pretty funky looking stuff. It's getting old, and I've only been smoking a few years.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Green Horn said:
I'm sure everyone else here will agree that no matter what aids they used, it all came down to having the drive to STOP. You're going to have cravings regardless of any aids you use. It's all about keeping those cravings in check.

Green Horn nailed it. I did it the old fashion way, cold turkey, but I was ready to quit. :ohmy: That and a lot of tooth picks!

AssistSuper - You've got the right idea about cleaning out all the lighters, ash trays, truck etc. Look at all that yellow stuff on the rag when you clean the post columns behind you doors of you truck. Yuk! :yikes:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hows everybody doin??

Green Horn got it, when you are ready, you are ready.. :ride:

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Washington just made it a lot less conducive to smoking and drinking a few days ago when it banned smoking within 25 feet of public places. Apparently public places now means private property.....grrrrrrrr. On the plus side the bars are more pleasant to be in and your clothes don't smell.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Another New Year :aj: :aj:

Hows everybody doin in here?? :cool:

Wish everybody continued success :aj:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
4 hrs 27 min and I hit 1 year :nod: I'm going to consider myself in the 1 year group now anywho.
Must say I wouldnt have believed I could do it.
Thanks ALL you helped me a bunch. You guys kickk a$$

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
yeahhh!! mann its sawweeet aint it ill be 1 in about 21 days :)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Right on!! Now i think we deserve new bikes!! :rotfl: :ride:

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
I am on day 4!!! I have to admit I can take deep breaths now, but this dizziness thing is nuts!! Jim and I both smoked our last one at midnight New Years Eve... and we both hope to never pick up the habit again... but if we do, we will just keep on quittin!!!

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Excellent Crispy!!! :cool:
I kinda like the dizzy light headed deal. But I'm wierd like that :yikes:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
congrats Crispy!!!
the "fog" as I called it when I quit goes away in a week or so. Keep at it! We're pulling for you and Jim.

Congrats to the 1 year smoke free club members :cool:

HOT C

Dec 25, 2005
I quit this morning, after reading some threads on this forum,i tossed my fancy looking ashtray in a trash can and vowed never to inhale the demon again, i'll use the same determination i used 11months ago to quit drinking alcoholic bevarages.
I have 3 dogs that are always all over me, but whenever i light a ciggarete they start sneezing and try to get away from me till the cigarrete smell clears out and that has been a big issue in my life,[ kind of like even animals know better].I need all your support for 6 more days and check on me next wed 11th to see if i made it. We can always encourage and support one another on this forum to quit.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Congrats Crispy and HotC.. After the first few days, it gets easier.. SOunds like both of you have the determination it takes.. COngrats,
Rick

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
HOT C,
You can do it! I quit alcohol 19 years ago. After 36 years of smoking I quit smoking 1year and 4days ago. These people here sure helped. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.
Perry

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i think the best thing i ever possibly had anything to do with in my life is show other people quitting is possible. one of my friends/coworkers has about 6 months and my sister is a couple months behind me :nod: if i knew my sis would kick it like big bro i wouldve quit 10 years ago :think:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…