Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The first American USGP winner has left us, godspeed Marty, and condolences to the family and friends. :(

Steve Bauer on another board said:
I'm posting this to confirm the rumors before they get out of control: Marty Moates, probably the finest human being I've ever had the privilege of knowing, took his own life yesterday. Got a call at 4 AM from a friend who had received an email he had hoped was a cruel hoax. I called his cell...Marty's great voice, but straight to voicemail. Called a couple of mutual friends who he was thought to have been with, phones all off.

Called his house, knowing that Marty was going to answer and jump my asss for being so gullible and waking him up, but he didn't answer. His family confirmed that he's gone and no one knows why.

Everyone loved Marty and I wish I had more information. His family is in shock, just as anyone who's ever met Marty is right now. *****, He loved life more than anyone I know...

I'll miss Marty Moates very much.

Please be respectful if you post. Thanks.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I hope that he finds his peace, he will be missed.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Had the privilege of watching him racing - RIP Marty.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Godspeed Marty.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Had the privlage of lining up next to him a few times and then watching his rear fender get smaller and smaller. A great racer and one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.
Godspeed Marty.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:( One of my childhood heros.

RIP Marty.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks for posting the links Chili.

For those interested in attending a memorial service for Marty, there will be one on Tues, Dec 12 at 11:00 AM at Horizon Christian Fellowship North, 6365 El Apajo Rd. Rancho Santa Fe, Ca.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Man that's sad. My heart goes out to someone that is living in such pain that death sounds like the best option. He must have been living with some nasty demons. I hope his friends and family are going to be OK.

Godspeed Marty and I pray you have found peace. :(

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
RM_guy said:
. . . My heart goes out to someone that is living in such pain that death sounds like the best option. He must have been living with some nasty demons.
yes. Truly sad.

rest in peace

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
After school, I always checked the mail to see if the next issue of MXA had arrived. I couldn't wait for the next issue of MXA to see who had won what race and who lead the points chase. As a farm kid growing up in Kansas I didn't know about Cycle News at the time. So my only source of MX was from MXA with a few small pictures and an even smaller article describing the event. All these years later I don't recall the issue, but I due recall when I read that Marty had won the USGP of Carlsbad. It was a very exciting time indeed. The significances was huge! An American had finally won the USGP of Carlsbad and his name was Marty Moates! If you were lucky. You caught the USGP on Wide World of Sports months later and for a time, watching the race on TV, you became Marty Moates, gliding around the backed adobe track. God speed Marty, I can't believe your gone.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Doesn't seem like the Moates you read about. There are no published details--suicide note, manner of death, etc.?

Sawblade--I grew up a farmboy in KS as well. Lakin, KS. 24 mi west of Garden City. Where did you grow up?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
nephron said:
Doesn't seem like the Moates you read about. There are no published details--suicide note, manner of death, etc.?

I was thinking/wondering same.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Godspeed Marty...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom