HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
How many college grads are out here that ride dirtbikes? I do have a degree and ride, but I'm starting to think that all that liberalism in colleges tends to make wusses out of men. In my 10 years post college, I have yet to meet another college grad dirtbiker (well one - my optometrist). What's the deal?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I have a B.A. and a M.A. and am 3 classes shy of an M.B.A.

I'm pretty sure a few other mods have some paper too.

One of the best guys I know (Lemming) has a PhD and teaches only PhD students.

I also know of several other guys with degrees who ride and plenty who have a degree from the school of hard knocks.

All of us are the same with our gear on.

Ivan

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I hope this post didn't come off wrong, as it isn't a college grad versus non topic. Just that it seems like many grads are more interested in golf, tennis or other mmmmmmm less exciting forays. it must me isolated to my experiences.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I got an engineering degree. The funny thing is that I have found just the opposite when it comes to people that ride dirtbikes. I've met alot of people that have technical degrees, like programmers and things like that.

Dirtbikes arent cheap, and racing anything isn't cheap either. College degrees open up more lucrative jobs that allow for $5,000 toys.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
I have 90 hours in college but no degree. I like to ride AND play golf! I also enjoy baseball and computers! Um wacky though.

My wife has her degree and she doesnt ride. :(

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I have my BS sheepskin in Ag Ed (went to school for 4 years to find out what I didn't want to do) and I ride. My wife has her Masters, and she rides (the 4 wheeler).

I do, however, notice a lot of liberal pantywaists from college, and I think a golf course is a waste of an MX track.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
BBA in business here......with honors even. never did take a salaried job though and never regretted it. 15 yrs out of college has found me with a more serious problem. most of my buddies have gotten out of bikes a long time ago. that leaves a serious shortage of compatible riding buddies.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by truespode
(Lemming) has a PhD and teaches only PhD students.
Don't let him work on your bike. :)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i have two associates degrees, one in surveying, one in civil engineering. now, i'm a registered land surveyor for a civil engineering firm. i have about 100 hours total but i am no longer interested in finishing.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I went to a college once...they asked me why I was there.

BTW, should I be flattered that they told me I had the IQ of a used artichoke?

Most of my friends, educated and not, think that I'm a bit crazy for riding.

Ivan just likes me because my helmet makes his look small. :)

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by XRpredator
... I think a golf course is a waste of an MX track.

Whilst I like to play the odd game of golf (badly), I have to say everytime I drive past a golf course I think to myself......man, that golf course would make an awesome natural terrain mx track. I would love to burn around WOT down the fairways, jumping out of bunkers or using them as berms!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I've got three years of college(majored in drinking)
The I sobered up and spent some more time in school for an associates degree in electronics technology.
The only suff I use regularly is my drinking edumacation

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
lol, I've got a piece of paper and a letter for making the President's Honor Roll at OU... that and .50 cents will get a phone call to a riding bud :)

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I'm currently in my second year in college, working towards a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. I'll be transferring from my local community college to Michigan Tech next fall :) .

My dad (Fred T) has a college degree (or two?) and he rides, but I think most of you know him...

What's wrong with golf? :moon: Although I also admit that when I'm out there, I'm always thinking about how much fun it'd be to roost a lil' bit of sand out of the bunkers--hey, it's gonna' end up flyin' outta' there anyway when I try to whack the ball outta' that stuff with my sand wedge; might as well enjoy it... :)

Last edited:

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
BA in history
BS in Bio 1 semester away.......got a Kona mountain bike after the first degree, hoping for a shiny, new motorized one after the second.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Associates in Telecommunications and thinking of going back for Mechanical Engineering or Electircal Engineering. It just depends. Not realy sure any kind of BS degree would help me much as I have been in my field for 6 years. Everybody hiring in my field seems to want specific experience or some sort of certification. I like what I do, just not sure I like my current job much. I would realy like to work more with my hands and be creative.

BTW - I realy enjoy riding. :yeehaw:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I'm just a dumb-ass dirtbiker. Left school at 15, did a year at a technical institute in secretarial studies and been working ever since. Done some night school stuff & started doing a paper but split with my ex & gave up on that idea.

Never have figured out what I want to be when/if I grow up, so I'll just keep going to work to eat my lunch. I'm currently looking for another job, so I guess I'll find out how employable I am (man, typing up my CV was an edumication in itself, funny how I stay at 1 job for a few months, then the next they can't get rid of me).

Oh, but I do get them emails sometimes asking me if I want to buy a piece of paper, shame I can't even figure out when I would've fitted that education in ;) hehehe

It depends on the type of job/career as to whether you need scrap paper or not - my husband does, but he also needs the work experience. Couldn't get an interview for a job without the paper, couldn't get a job without the experience.

There was an anecdote going around a while back how a receptionist opened the mail when a job was advertised & sorted out suitable applicants for the boss. She was going for the young guys, but in reality the boss wanted older guys with experience, no matter on the qualifications. He couldn't understand why there weren't any decent applicants & asked her. She then handed over all her no-good pile & he finally found what he wanted in that lot.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Two years at one school, one year at another, and over one year of US Military Intelligence School and nary a peice of paper.

I have talked with the dean of admissions at UofLou. about finishing up my engineering degree...but that is all I seem to do is talk.

Hard to get re-motivated at 44, and doing what I would have done even if I had the paper. But for some odd reason, I want the parchment. I'll probably hang it next to my DW'07 poster!

Hey....Golf is GOOD! :)
It's actually that hardest sport there is to do well at. Don't believe that? Ask a golfer!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I got me one of them paper thingies.  A BS in Computer Science. 

Top Bottom