Race Fuel in 50CC KTM

jcrawford1

Sep 18, 2002
I have 2 KTM 50's one a Liquid Cooled Pro JR the other a Air Cooled mini adventure Oil Injected.

Would I be better off to run 110 Octane CAM2 in both bikes ?

For the Injected model I was going to also premix at 100:1 for peice of mind is this a good idea?

In the Liquid Cooled that requires pre-mix I use 32:1 but was told that 20:1 would cause less spongeing and was thinking of changinr to 20:1 should I ?

Also how long after I install a new Sparkplug in the bike should I see the color change for jetting?

SuzookKING

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2002
as long as it is jetted correctly & you using a quality oil you won't get spooge

there is more to race gas than octane alone.
I like Phillips race fuels myself. You might try some B32 fuel :thumb:

you can get a plug reading (as to main jet) on a new plug from warming the motor to operating temp and then doing a plugchop.

Last edited:

fourstk

Sep 17, 2002
I don't really understand why I do it but I run 50/50, 110 octane and 94 pump gas in our 02 Pro jr's. As for the OI I don't know a thing.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
110 octane in a 50cc is overkill. The spooge is more of a jetting problem than gas. Also, the amount of spooge will depend on how the rider rides the bike. If he is on the gas, there will be hardly any spooge. If he/she lugs it, there will be more.

As for running a 50/50 mix. The reason most people run race fuel is for consistency of quality! Mixing it with pump gas or buying race fuel from a bulk tank reintroduces the inconsistency of the fuel.

If you want to run race fuel in the 50, use lower octane like 98 or 100. Get it in the 5 gal. cans and don't mix it with pump fuel.

With race gas, you can usually lean out the jetting.

jc, what part of Ohio are you from? I up near Warren.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
only a couple of the air and LC50's around where we race but they seem to run either 32:1 or 40:1 premix. Like everyone already said...your jetting is the spooge problem. No way going to 20:1 will help that. Unless your going for consistency you don't need race fuel in that 50 unless you milled the head and boosted compression.

jcrawford1

Sep 18, 2002
KTMDAD,
I live in South East Ohio near Logan. We race District 11, But I plan on racing some District 12 stuff next year...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…