truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The weather this weekend was really nice. High was just barely 80 degrees. it was overcast and there was a cool breeze. At the track we got rain for about 20 minutes then it just turned really nice the rest of the evening.

Before leaving for the track we used the mighty vac to bleed the brakes. It really helped but I'm still wanting a little more braking power. It is about as good as it'll get for now though. Not bad but not as good as when the bike was new.

I signed up for the 250D and the +25c/d. However, the 125a/b and 250a/b were also going to be in the same race, just on the first drop. I was cussing to myself about being on the track with the A riders but figured what the hell. I should at least have the track all to myself for 2 laps before I get lapped :)

The heat race of the 250D was fun. As the gate dropped I got a poor jump and was trying to play catchup to the first turn. Wrench on the other hand had a great jump and was in 3rd place off the start!!! There was some screw ups in the first turn and I was able to move into position behind a guy who was right behind Wrench. Wrench then overshot a turn and we passed.

We came around to the whoop section and I tried my version of grip it and rip it to catch the guy in front of me. However, my version of the grip it and rip it looks a lot to the spectators like a chiwawa trying to hump a rottweiler!! It did feel fast even though I didn't make up any ground on the guy.

I ended up 4th out of 14 in the heat race. I was pretty stoked and
wondering if I could repeat the same finish in the main. I was hoping at least for a top 5.

The +25c/d brought me back to reality. I was ok off the start and followed into the 3rd turn very well until the front end washed out and I face planted with a lowside into the bottom of the turn. The bike didn't stall but by the time I shook it off and got back on the bike the A riders were coming around through the whoops. I pulled off and decided to check the bike out. No damage but a lot of dirty gear and some mud packed into the right side of the helmet. Not a hard hit fortunately, just enough to scoop
up some mud.

In the main I got a poor start and passed maybe 3 people in the first turn. I looked up and Wrench was again in 3rd place off the start. He held that for half a lap. Then people started going around him. I stayed where I was and only passed 2 people the rest of the way. One was Wrench.

I had a chance to pass two others in the whoops but they went to the right of Wrench and instead of following them I went to the left of Wrench and as the others went by him he moved over and I had to re-think my poor decision. I ended up getting by him a couple turns later but that was it. I couldn't make up any time on the others.

I ended up 9th out of 14 :( I really am dissappointed b/c I should have finished higher. The 3rd place finisher back to 10th were all very closely matched in speed. Only the top two were really heads and shoulders above the rest of the class. I honestly feel if I would have gotten a good start I could have gotten a 5th or 6th place finish. Then again, what I think and what is reality are always two different things :)

In the +25c/d I kept it on two wheels and tried to jump each jump. Even the only double on the track. I cleared to the end of all but 3 jumps. The one right out of the corner where Gomer lost his finger, the finish line jump and the double. I cleared the big table top on the back end completely and felt I was in the air for a long time. It was a hard landing but not as bad as I was xpecting.

There was only 5 in the +25c/d so I got a placed high enough for a plaque. Normally, I wouldn't have gone up for it. However, I got lapped by the A/B riders and did a really good job of holding my line and giving them plenty of room. I think I was the model lapper out there and deserved a plaque for that alone <g>

Overall, it was a fun night.

Ivan

Top Bottom