RBW

Jun 16, 2000
What is the standard race sag for forks? Shocks seem to be talked about more often when discussing race sag.The standard sag for a shock seems to be 90mm to 110mm? Is that accurate? I have a figure of 25mm to 42mm for static sag on forks. Is that accurate? Please help.

------------------
Rob '00 GasGas XC250

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I normally go between 95-105mm on the shock and the forks i dont check as it is very hard due to the stiction in the bushes/seals.If you post your weight and current springs and riding speed/terrian someone should give you a good indication on if the springs are correct.

------------------

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
If you pull the caps off the forks the spring retainers should be under some tension, say about 1/4" to 1/2" tension. That is, the amount the spring has to be compressed to be at the point the retainer holds it.

I believe this translates into about an inch of sag in the front end for just the bike's weight. Little or no retention on the retainers is too little, and well you get the too much side of it. Cutting or adding a longer PVC pipe spacer is how you adjust the front spring preload.

You may want to pop in Jer's forum for more advice.

------------------
TexKDX

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Rob,

I have the same bike. Your numbers sound about right. Mine sag about 35mm on average. Stiction makes using fork sag as a setup parameter tough. I just use it as a rough guideline and go by how the bike feels. Did you revalve or respring? I have a good rock setup for a 170lb rider.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

------------------

Top Bottom