JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
I just purchased GV kits for my forks and shock - haven't received them yet. But Race Tech's web site (and discussions on this forum) sya that RT recommends converting the midvalve to a check plate system. I have read a lot on this forum concerning the disadvantages of doing this and was wondering if it would be possible to leave the mid valve alone (not following RT's recommendation)? What would happen? Could the midvalve be tuned to work with GVs?

John

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Yes, leave them in there if you want, you can dial it in with them in there. In fact, when I was using RT components I never pulled out one midvalve as I felt there midvalve was a good thing. I always felt it odd that RT wanted everybody to pull them, as I felt their Type 1 piston would work better with the midvalve, but in the case of the 98-01 YZ's which had major distortion problems with the midvalve I could see their point in using a check plate rather then bothering to come up with a fix. But stick with midvalve and work with it, you'll be glad you did in the end.

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
Shocknut,

I'm putting these in a '00 YZ - does this change your recommendation?

John

Wakisashi

Mod Ban
Apr 29, 2002
If I remember right the paperwork that comes with the GVs listed the checkplate as an "optional mod". I have used the T2 GV in a 2000 KX with the midvalve in place.

gbs1

Dec 2, 2002
I would leave the mid valve in too. There are a number of valving combinations that are on the RT charts. You can start with the suggested base and tune from there but I have found that most riders will end up running a lighter stack than suggested. Good luck

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I just put a set in my 03 YZ250 . I'm miffed at the stock mid valve. The spring that hold the valving to the piston is so light it makes me wonder if the mid valve even does anything. The slightest pressure will allow the oil to blow right through as if it's just a check plate design.

I figure that if Ty Davis doesn't need the mid valve, I don't need it either. I took it out.

Wakisashi

Mod Ban
Apr 29, 2002
I have wondered if racers like Davis and Raines run the set ups that RT does for the average racers like the check plate mod ?? Do they have better equipment or just better riders , or maybe both?

At our last HS round an A rider I know tried to service his linkage a few days before the event , bearings were froze up. He took off one of the nuts and tried to hammer out the bolt , no go , he mushroomed the end of the bolt trying to drive it out. He couldn`t put the nut back on and didn`t have time to have it repaired before the race. He rode it that way to 12th overall out of better than 300 racers. Stock suspension on an `01 RM250 with siezed bearings and no nut on one of the linkage bolts and he does 12th overall , maybe the rider is 95% of the equation.

gbs1

Dec 2, 2002
A lot is going to depend on what type of riding you are going to do. If you are an MXer I would leave them in, if you are HS rider or enduro rider it could be optional. Either way you will have to find suitable RT stack to complement the set up with or with out the MV. If you have the oppurtunity to ride a RT set up with or with out a MV give it a try to help you draw your conclusion.

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I talked to Ty's mechanic and he said that they do take the MV out and run pretty light valving. This was for WORCS GP use which is a mix of MX,woods,desert, etc. For pure MX, I'm sure he'd run something stiffer.

I'm from the old school and like my suspension soft and mushy. Heck even Bob Hannah doesn't like the stiff rigid feel of today's suspension. I read it in Transworld MX.

gbs1

Dec 2, 2002
I like to run a softer base valve with a modified midvalve for plushness. I know what you mean about today's stiffer suspension feel

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I'm a vet expert and I'm way over on the light side of the valving charts. I also run .41 springs ft. and a 4.6 in the rear. I'm 165 lbs. Everyone raises an eyebrow when I tell them I run such light springs.. Especially when all the rags, ususally MXA, think everyone needs railroad car springs.

Top Bottom