Apr 30, 2007
Last Saturday had rainy-ish weather, but we were in Brooks, which is a sandy track.

I had put in a special request to have the ladies class go first, beings as I was only able to race the first moto before rushing back to catch a graduation for my partner in crime.

The organizers are so awesome. They granted my request! For the first time in maybe forever, the ladies went first. This also meant practicing on the freshly groomed track. IT WAS AWESOME!!!

For what it's worth, I had no plans to hit the jumps hard. My partner in crime's mother gave me an earful and some pretty crazy threats in the event that I was either late or absent from said graduation ceremony.

This year, they are having us ladies practice with the Vets, which isn't a big deal. Most of them are extremely considerate about giving any ladies a wide berth when passing us. I still managed to get the everliving crap roosted out of me by one of them. He was on a 450, no less.

I didn't really care, it was just that fun to be on a freshly groomed track! The sand was wet and firm, and there was all kinds of traction! The weather was perfect too. It was cloudy and cool.

I was just excited to be riding and racing. It felt so good to open the throttle and get pulled along even though I was and still am wickedly out of shape.

I had a pretty lame start, but I managed a 5th place out of 9 riders. The track was still great, but I took things carefully, because of later plans. We had one new rider on a TTR 125, and she did a fantastic job of holding her line when we came by. I made sure to catch her name and welcome her to the track.

I did finally let loose and hit the last tabletop with some decent speed. I got enough air-time to feel almost nervous, but doing things like that in non pressured situations just has a way of fixing all that's wrong in the world. I love flying! :)

That day, we had a representative from Leatt, and with some help from a sponsor (My dad!!) I finally dropped the cash into some quality neck protection. Since the rep. was there, he had it fitted and set up for me in no time at all. I really appreciate when those guys come around with their stellar deals and help. :cool:

With that, I had to scamper off. I made the graduation with just enough time to change out of my gear.

We all went out to the farm and had good eats, some visiting, some clay shooting, and then my dad proceeded to have an incident that put him in the hospital for a week. Myself, and my family also spent the entire week there, helping take care of him.

We got him home yesterday, and I was torn about racing today. He said I had better get things loaded up and get on the road or he'd try do it for me (he won't be bearing any weight for at least 6 weeks on one leg, and 3 months on the other). I have the best dad in the world.

It rained all night and all through my 2 hour drive to the track (Finley). I wasn't sure what to expect when I got there. In fact, I expected that I would barely make it in time for the first moto since I had a very late start (woke up an hour later than planned thanks to the long week and uncomfortable chairs in hospitals).

Ladies were nearly last out for practice, and 2nd in the moto lineup. I knew we were in for a crazy good time, beings as I watched a bunch of the A-class riders whip around backwards. I raged out with a whoop and made it out on the track. There is a corner with a single jump coming right out of it that was like trying to climb up greased glass.

The mud was only an inch or two deep, but greasy and slick on top of a layer of just as greasy and slick clay!

It was tricky, but still fun as all get out. I got all backwards going over a tabletop (couldn't get up enough speed to get anything more than my front wheel in the air) and in the process of getting turned around I somehow slid off the side of it. This made the two flaggers (younger guys that I've never seen before) quite concerned.

Or, maybe, just maybe, they were concerned about me laughing like a giddy fool, or shouting something to the extent of "WHEEEEEE Hahaha!!!" as I slid down the side of the tabletop and off track. I don't know which.

I only made two of the three practice laps. I pulled off early and was fairly glad that I did since we were supposed to line up so soonishly afterwards. My hands were kinda shot from feathering the clutch and the throttle.

One of the organizers stopped by and gave me some pointers about the track, telling me where it was and wasn't dry, and that I should probably cut my front brake lever off, since that was causing the majority of the crashes so far. I told him that I was tired enough from the week that I wasn't really planning on leaving first or second gear anyways.

So...First moto, I got a great start in comparison to last week's start. But I came out of the corner in third place. That felt pretty good! Except...after a turn or two, I came over that same dang tabletop and got sideways and fell down. Then I fell down again. Then, coming up over that greasy glass hill, I stalled it about three times. This was bewildering because I've never had a problem with stalling my supermini!

I got 4th out of 5 (they cut a lap so we were down to two).

2nd moto, things had dried out considerably. It was soft still, with a few slick spots but much firmer and much more tacky than before, and some lines had even developed!

The 250 beside me (who is going to be some serious competition this year) had the inside line on the starting corner, so I had to wait for a decent opening. That opening came one turn later, when she went slightly wide. I think her front wheel pushed out of the rut where it was slightly mushy.

Either way, I took the inside and got a clear line to pass. I was also a little faster through the whoops. I, for once had a short wheel base advantage! As I was passing her, I noted that I kinda liked these whoops! If they would've been drier, I probably would've tried to rhythm through them.

It's funny how I have time to think now while I'm riding. Over four years ago, I couldn't even figure out which line was best while I was riding. I just went where the dirt took me. Now I have all sorts of silly things going through my head along with the slightly more important "pick your line" and making decisions mid air or mid turn.

I even had time to think about the leatt brace and how it was and wasn't affecting me. Mostly I was pondering different ways of trying to get my goggles on or off. It was a little tough reaching to get the strap up over my visor and the top of my helmet.

I didn't really make much distance on that 250 after I passed her. She stayed pretty hot on my rear fender, so I rode with maybe even a little more extra care the next two laps. Then at some point, that thundering 4-stroke noise behind me quit. She went down shorting a double. It looked like she was going to be okay (I hope).

I ended up 3rd for the day. It was a good one!
Apr 30, 2007
I'm still far from anything that might be considered as "skilled." I just know what to expect when I do something silly.
Top Bottom