wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
chili
Is it me or did this reporter throw some pretty bad comments in there?

bad deal for sure.

wardy

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
went to the SX then come home and find out about this fatality. i then log on to my local forum only to find out a rider had died at races at one of our local Socal tracks, i dont know him, but a lot of people i know did- LA old timer Dave Williams.

sad news indeed. condolances

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Very sad :ugg:

My condolances to Jason's family and friends.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Godspeed indeed. Wardy I agree. I guess the editor had to make their deadline as I felt the story was very poorly written.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Very sad!:( My condolances. The article was obviously written by a NON motorcycle person. The explanations of the course and preventative measures was weak showing that the reporter was only on the story because of the unfortunate death of a racer.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'm actaully surprised to find out that this was the first SX fatality. It speaks volumes about the safety record of SX. Lets hope we can go another 32 years before a rider is sadly lost.

My sincerest condolances to Jason's family and friends. It's a terrible outcome to what must have started off as an exciting night for all of them.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
wardy: I agree completely it was a terrible write up but unfortunately it was the only article I could find at the time to post for the info on the accident.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
A few more reads:

San Diego Union Tribune:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20040125-9999_1s25superx.html

Racer-X:
"There was a rider fatality yesterday at the San Diego Supercross. Riverside, California's Jason Ciarletta suffered fatal injuries in a first-turn accident in the Saturday-afternoon qualifiers at Qualcomm Stadium. Ciarletta tangled with another rider, went over the berm, and endoed to the ground. Despite the best efforts of trackside medical personnel, including the Asterisk Mobile Medical Unit, his life could not be saved. Ciarletta was pronounced dead later Saturday night at a San Diego area hospital. He was 19 years old.

This marks the first fatality in the 31-year history of AMA Supercross."

:ugg:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
There are lots of rumors on the web. I've seen claims ranging from broken neck to ruptured aorta to a cut jugular vein as the cause of Jason's demise. An autopsy is due to be performed tomorrow. I hope there is a report available to us.

It's truly sad that someone so young lost his life. I'd like to extend my condolences to his family.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
It would be a great show of support for the family if a lot of riders could be at the funeral. I know everyone has busy schedules but if our SoCal Chapter members could find a way to make a showing as a delagation of DRN would show international support and sincere sympathy to his family. Just a thought.

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
How sad. But sounds to me like he passed away doing what he loved. Godspeed and hope to ride bikes with ya one day in Heaven bro.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
That's sad. :whiner: Man, I hate to read stories like this, and I'm not talking about the crappy, biased journalism.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The latest story (after the autopsy) is that Jason died from blunt trauma to the head. Apparently the bike landed on his head, and his helmet was broken in half.

How could you prevent a freak accident like that?

sweden_345

Jul 17, 2002
:whiner: I hate when these things happen.
My prayers to his family....

By the way about bad comments in the article. Check the last line about pastrana :debil:

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
the aeorta is the main artery to the body coming out of the left ventricle...that aeorta and the knees are two of the most "poorly designed" parts of the human body.

Feb 25, 2001
How did the aeorta get ruptered?? If its in the chest that would mean a massive blow to the chest?? Perhaps hitting a peice of track maintenance equipment? Seing that he more than likely launched over the berm on the first corner as it said he overshot the corner he more than likely javelined into something?

Top Bottom