Racetech Gold Valves, Forks, and mid-valve delimna

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Here is the deal...
There is a debate (or so I hear) about wether or not you should remove the mid-valve on the forks when using Gold valves.

Race-tech says "yes" unless you are some arenacross rock star.

Others say "no" b/c the fork will blow through the stroke.

I ride X-country and some MX. I have gold valves, but my suspension guy insists on leaving the mid valve in place (that whole thing about the fork blowing through the stroke...). The forks are OK (albeit harsh sometimes) on the MX track with the clickers all the way out, but in the woods - forget it.

What do you suggest? Re-shim the stack for more flow? Or remove the mid-valve all together?

-jeffd

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
If someone is doing the work for you i suggest you have to let him do what he feels best.You can get them working very well either way-i prefer the mid valve.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
JeffD - Speak with Brian @ SMS Racing in Denton, he's a RaceTech dealer and very competent. So far he has done 4 of my bikes and they have been flawless.

He will work your suspension until you like it!

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by Enduro_Nut
JeffD - Speak with Brian @ SMS Racing in Denton, he's a RaceTech dealer and very competent. So far he has done 4 of my bikes and they have been flawless.

He will work your suspension until you like it!

You mean Brian Storrie?

-jeffd

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Let him leave the mid valve in so long as he is going to tune it to your specifications.

The mid-valve forks can be set up to run very plush as long as the tuner knows what they are doing.

I used the Race Tech settings BUT left the mid-valve in, and it was way too soft for me....so it is up to the tuner to make it work.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
The tuner is primarily an MX/SX/AX guy - so this is unfamiliar territory to him I think...

Rocks and roots are different animals compared to braking bumps, 75' triples, and stadium whoops.

I think we can get it figured out - it is just going to take some input and re-shimming of the stack to get the fork to perform in a more linear fashion.

-jeffd

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I ride mine in the woods and on trails. As long as he gets the rest of it right...the mid-valve will NOT prevent you from getting a good ride on the rocks and roots.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
A good tuner will Use the Mid Valve to tune the forks Espescially if you want a more H/S type of setup , Dont remove it. What bike ? Your 426 ?Let us know what you decide . Im pretty sure when Paul Thede and his guys put that stuff together to disable the M/V it was for a durability type of thing. Or as a replacement for a fouled up or bent shim stack, or just another product for the lineup which is a good idea.Midvalve shims need some attention now and then and can get bent or fouled and most people dont have the tooling or experience to properly maintain them . For that reason some people may be better off with just a checkplate. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom