Racetech recommends....

SQUIRLEYMOFO

Jun 11, 2002
14mm of preload on my rear spring. Not to be stupid but is this a spacer? or are they calling preload the adjustment ring if so setting the sag would change this....confused.If it is a spacer where do I get 1?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
While preload on a shock spring may be a place to start, it isn't the place to end up.

You set your sag by measuring it. 100mm is my preference. Some prefer more, some less.

If you don't know how to set it, please ask.

It's probably the #1 bestest thing you can do for yourself and your suspenders (other things being 'right').

Set it!!

No, it's not a spacer. I'm ASSUMING they are referring to sag when they refer to shock spring preload. Don't know what else it would be....

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Perhaps they are referring to free sag. That's the natural sag in the rear suspension from the weight of the bike. I’ve always used 1/2 inch to 1 inch as the correct range and 14mm is about 9/16 of an inch.

Gary

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Are you talking about a racetech spring?

The racetech spring for the KDX (forget the series) fits a wide variety of bikes. The spring is about 5mm wider in diameter than the stock late model KDX spring and comes with an adaptor that you place between the bottom of the shock and the bottom of the spring.

The top of spring constricts to near stock diameter so you can still use the stock KDX pre-load adjuster and lock nut.

Are you calling this adpator a spacer? If so you should have got one in the box.

SQUIRLEYMOFO

Jun 11, 2002
Thanks I have set the sage correctly I guess I just didn't understand the term preload. I think I going to have to send the shock off no matter how you adjust it just don't work right.

SQUIRLEYMOFO

Jun 11, 2002
Thanks I have set the sage correctly I guess I just didn't understand the term preload. I think I going to have to send the shock off no matter how you adjust it just don't work right.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Methinks the term 'preload' DOES apply to a preliminary setup. Anytime you take a spring apart you'll want to measure something. Usually the length of the spring as installed. That way, when it comes time to put it back together, you have a starting point. Will likely change when it comes to the actual sag, but better setting it on the bench than twisting the spring after it's on the bike.

A well-valved shock is a treat! Good luck!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…