Racing Hare scrambles is my bike right

fastrider11

Sep 2, 2007
I have a 2001 RM250 and am racing hare scrambles now.I have been thinkin about going to a 4 stroke. I am 14 years old I weigh in at 124 pounds. I put a 11 oz flywheel weight on my RM. Ok to the point should i keep my bike or get a 250f or 450f. I need help. :laugh:

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
I would keep it and put a heavier fly wheel weight on it, for off road it dosnt get much better than a 250 2t with a heavy flywheel, of course I think its personal prefrence. Try both, see what you like.

djj

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 18, 2003
There is no right or wrong bike for racing H/S, that said, most people ride 2-strokes because of the weight and easy starting. Also 2-strokes are much less expensive to overhaul than 4-strokes. Look into the cost of redoing a 4-stroke motor vs. a 2-stroke. :yikes:

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Like others have said...there is no right or wrong motorcycle for hare scrambles racing...that's one of the beauties of it. Two-strokes are lighter and cheaper and easier to maintain...

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
I ride my YZ 250 w/ out a heavier fly wheel, I like a straight moto crosser in the woods. I have been wanting to try a 4 stroke in the woods. Any bike is good for the woods, it comes down to what you are comfortable with. I want to get a new KTM XC 450.

kdxer200

Jan 30, 2003
i race 200A against plenty of 250fs and ktm 200s on an 06 yz125 no flywheel, won the championship this year. getting bumped up to AA for next year. will be getting a yz250 for that. this year i had a rough start on the 250f. and i havent lost a race since i got on the 2 stroke. so i say 2 strokes for everyone.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I like 2-strokes for offroad racing, and 4-strokes for mx... I'm currently riding a '02 400sx w/ the suspension re-done for woods... I test rode the 08 ktm 200xc, 250xc, and 250xcw(e) this weekend, and they handle RIDICULOUSLY better than my old 4-T. I plan on buying one towards the end of this year if/when I get my christmas bonus at work...

For your RM, a flywheel weight and suspension mods are a must to make it a competitive HS bike. I had an '03 kx250 w/ the stock mx suspension and it was almost un-rideable at anywhere near a race pace in rough terrain...

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I currently own a 2005 YZ250F and love it. I ride woods and some MX. The 250F is great for how I ride and if I get another bike it will probably be a 4-stroke.

I spend the majority of my time in the woods and do the occasional MX thing.

However, if I was RACING exclusively I would have a different bike. If I was doing just vet MX I'd have a CRF 450. If I was racing just Harescrambles I'd have a KTM200XCW and a KTM200EXC if I was doing Enduro's.

In my opinion I am just as fast on a 2-stroke in the woods as I am on my 4-stroke. I can't say the same when it comes to MX. It is just something about my riding style. I don't jump well at all on a smoker. The YZ250F is the best overall bike for the riding I do and the way I ride.

If I was in your position with the RM and did not have the money to get a new bike I would just do some suspension upgrades, flywheel weight and make sure that puppy is jetted right with good silencer packing and be on my way.

Since I don't race exclusively I see a KTM450EXC in my future just b/c it can be tagged where I live which opens more opportunities to me. Otherwise I'd never leave the YZ250F line... it has just been a great bike for me.

Ivan

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
fastrider11 said:
I went ahead and tried a 4 stroke and i hated it in the woods. :yell:

The RM 250 is a very nice machine in the woods. As others have said, getting the suspension tuned for what you are doing and spend your efforts and cash in practicing.

You really need to evaluate how much freshening up the 01 RM 250 is going to require. My 05 and 06 both are great bikes, however they both need a lot of freshening after a year of racing hard. By the way the RM 250 is not an unknown machine at winning Hare Scrambles.

I hear that once upon a time some Smith fellow won a few races on one. ;)

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
08 KTM 300XC-W is pretty sweet with the e-button.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
ChopperDave said:
08 KTM 300XC-W is pretty sweet with the e-button.

Dave how is the power? I have ridden the 300XC no button and it had good power but the tranny spacing was too close together for me.

I am just curious as my 450 XCFW has arrived, but I still like to smoke on occasion.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Power delivery is great! Smooth on bottom and very fun mid and top end! With the wide range tranny shifting is not a major chore. The only work when riding this bike is in the wfo stages, keeping the front wheel from getting to high! :yeehaw:

Top Bottom