Joe_148

Mar 13, 2004
Hey guys, the other night I had a crash and twisted the radiator.Currently, I ordered a new left rad which was 202 CDN plus tax, but tomorrow my dad is taking the twisted rad to his friend and hes going to try and bend it back. It doesnt leak right now, but by him bending it back could it cause it to leak? The outermost fins seem to be crushed on each side, I dont know whether he will fix that or not but how much do they affect cooling? I first ordered the new one because I didnt want the worries of wondering whether its running hotter or if its completely straight but after looking at it again it wasnt twisted super bad, so I may end up cancelling the order if he can fix it good. He works at a car shop that does rad repairs..any advice/what to look out for? Thanks

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Joe_148 said:
He works at a car shop that does rad repairs..any advice/what to look out for? Thanks
apparently he knows :cool:

The_STiLe

May 9, 2005
aluminium has a tendancy to crack when you bend it back, but if he does this sort of thing all the time then im sure his opinion would be the one that i would take

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Joe.

You should have no problem. The aluminum that your radiator is made from is a very soft alloy. Those radiators can be bent and re-bent many times before they crack. If it does crack, it can be tig welded.

When you get it back make sure the fins are straight. If the fins are bent down, take the time to straighten them out. You can use a pair of needle nose pliers or a small screwdriver to straighten them. Hold the radiator up to a light and make sure you can see light through all of the fins. This is very important since the radiators on most dirt bikes are on the verge of being too small to begin with. If the airflow is obstructed by bent fins it can cause the bike to overheat.

Good luck.

Joe_148

Mar 13, 2004
Well, he got it pretty straight. Its really pissing me off though because its still tweaked even though it looks completely straight because the shroud wont line up easily, and the outermost fins are all crushed. I think I might get the new one cause I cant stand when things dont line up and the fins worry me..

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i'd get the new one plus keep the old one just in case. i'd put the old one back in, and see if it overheats and if it does then the worst thing your gonna have to do is swap them.

Top Bottom