wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
OK, I had my first bad spill today. I still don't know where that tree came from... :(

Anyway, once I got off the ground and realized I was still in one piece, I noticed that the left radiator shroud was bent at a 90degree angle. More importantly, the left radiator was bent too, even with the Works Connection braces. The rad was actually twisted, with the bottom twisted more than the top. Not a severe twist, but visually noticeable. Coolant was slowly dripping from the hose connection at the bottom of the radiator, and the frame brace at the bottom was bent in slightly towards the engine too.

Thank the good Lord, I got the bike back to the truck before the engine seized, so the damage was contained, but...

RonAyers.com says a new left rad assembly is $193 and I'd love to avoid that...does anyone have any tips on how this radiator can be repaired, if that is even possible?

Thanks! :cool:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Check your local yellow pages and try one of the radiator repair shops in your area. Just cause it isn't off a car doesn't mean they can't fix it.

Grover

Aug 22, 2004
Downside of aluminum is that it is a big pain to repair since it's liquid temperature range is so small. The hose connection might be fixable, do you know anybody who can braze aluminum? Some high temperature epoxy might hold since the coolant isn't under too much pressure. Is it a pinhole, or something larger?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Keep yours eyes on Eeeeeebaaaaay

I bought a good good pair of rads for $45 and and set of hoses for $18

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I "tore" the side of my radiator last year but it wasn't leaking. A local radiator shop, (for cars), charged me $5 to fix it. It's worth a try.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
OK, I checked it out after I washed it and learned that the radiator isn't punctured...it is still full of coolant, thank God! No seized engine! :)

It is twisted though; should I try to straighten it out, or just take it to a radiator shop? My gut tells me to let a pro do it...

OHHHH I hope I can dodge that $193 bill for a new one!!!

Thanks for the great posts!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I used a rubber mallot and a block of wood to reshape mine after twisting the heck out of it. Just go slow and do it while it is still mounted to the bike. That way, the bent mounting tabs stay lined up with the radiator as you straighten it.

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
Wanaride what did you end up doing?
I'm in the same boat now after yesterdays head on with a jeep in a blind turn.
The radiator is bent, twisted, and leaking. Lower hose is ripped. I need to weld the lower mount back on the frame also.
Has anyone used Myler's? How much did it cost you, and where you happy with there work?
Now if I could just find a good body an fender man to fix this gouge in my side and bent rib I'd be alright. :yikes:

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I sent the rad to Myler's in Utah, he fixed it and shipped it out in one day! His rates run from $35 to $75 (I think), and he charged me $50 to fix mine.

I could have tried a local radiator shop, but since this guy specializes in fixing motorcycle radiators, and considering that multiple people on this site recommended him, I figured this was the best path to a quick repair.

The radiator hasn't arrived yet but I expect it today; Lord willing I'll post later to let you know how it turned out.

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
Thanks for the update.
Mine leaks in two places. I was able to get some of the twist and dents out.
Can't seem to find the part# for the plastic fins in front of the radiator. The lower hose is about 18 bucks. Ouch!!!

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Myler's Radiator Repair - RECOMMENDED!

I received the rad yesterday. I was amazed when I pulled it out of the box...if you didn't know it had been twisted, you certainly wouldn't have been able to tell it from looking at it after the repair. Myler did a wonderful job with it! It looks as straight as the non-damaged radiator!

Myler charged me $35 to straighten it and $15 to fix a leak. He does NOT straighten twisted fins, but the radiator looks as good as new now. I'm very impressed!

I haven't put everything back together yet but I'm confident the repair is solid and there will be no issues. Myler does a great job, is very fast and very reasonable...I recommend you try him out! :cool:

Top Bottom