speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
Well I bought a 1990 KDX 200 4 months ago and I noticed the fins in front of the radiator are bent and a couple of them are flush with the radiator and cover it up. Would it cause any damage to cut off those fins off to let more air get to the radiator? Since new shrouds are cheap i don't mine buying new ones but if I can just cut these I'll just do that. :thumb:

Side note.....My buddy(he has a 1994 KDX 250) and I took our bikes out last weekend on some nice muddy trails and it was the first time i've ever riden a dirt bike. Only put on 10 miles but I'm addicted now...What a Blast!! :eek:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
speedracer238 said:
Well I bought a 1990 KDX 200 4 months ago and I noticed the fins in front of the radiator are bent and a couple of them are flush with the radiator and cover it up. Would it cause any damage to cut off those fins off to let more air get to the radiator? Since new shrouds are cheap i don't mine buying new ones but if I can just cut these I'll just do that. :thumb:

I'm assuming your talking about the green rock guard/air guides right? If they are bent back you can cut them out of the way or just remove the shrouds all the ways. Otherwise i'd just go ahead and replace them. The shrouds on my 89 have been gone since I got it 2 years ago. Doesn't seem to hurt it any though.

-Maurice

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
m0rie said:
I'm assuming your talking about the green rock guard/air guides right? If they are bent back you can cut them out of the way or just remove the shrouds all the ways. Otherwise i'd just go ahead and replace them. The shrouds on my 89 have been gone since I got it 2 years ago. Doesn't seem to hurt it any though.

-Maurice

Thank for the reply. Thats exactly what I was talking about. I didn't know if removing them would allow mudd and rocks to jam themselves in the radiators and screw it up.

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
You can buy aftermarket guards from Devol that replace those shrouds. The Devol ones aren't cheap, but they are sturdy. They should do a good job of protecting those very expensive ($330 per side) radiators.

Top Bottom