crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
The overfill hole or w/e it is where the radiator cap goes on leakes when i fully fill my radiator not alowing me to have a full radiator. It doesnt start flowing out untill i turn my bike on and rev it out but stops ones the radiator loses a certain amount of fluid, about 3 cups worth. I also dont have the hose that goes there would this be part of my problem?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
They aren't really made to run completely full.

Think about it a moment: When things heat up, they expand. Leaving room for something to expand is probably a good idea. Matter of fact, I think if you look at your manual, it will tell you not to fill the radiator completely.

If you're really worried about it, build yourself a burp-tank and it'll catch the overflow and suck it back in when things cool back down.

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
Ahh so that explans it. What about the small leak i hear right by my raidiator cap when my bike is off? And it only overflows out when i really get on the gas.

I'm not too worried about it, i just dont want my bike to overheat :D

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
You shouldn't hear any hissing at all.

Expensive coolant? I run a temp gauge and found that 60% distiled water and 40% coolant with a couple cap fulls of Red Line water wetter works best for me.

I read a test several years ago that 100% water cools best but it doesn't protect your parts so don't do it.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
hissing when revving up. I'd look for a head o-ring leak.

hiss when warm then i'd look for a leak in the radiator. small pin hole probably toward the top.

you should fill your radiator right to the top of fins inside the radiator. it should stay that full. if it drops lower you have a problem.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Jasle said:
hissing when revving up. I'd look for a head o-ring leak.

hiss when warm then i'd look for a leak in the radiator. small pin hole probably toward the top.

you should fill your radiator right to the top of fins inside the radiator. it should stay that full. if it drops lower you have a problem.
Easiest way to test for The leaky head gasket is take off (when the bike is cold) raditor cap. top off the fluid and start the bike. Once it is warmed up look in and see if the coolant is full of bubbles. If it is bubbling or overflowing you have a bad head gasket, loose head bolts, or warped head

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
So i defenatly need a new head gasket. But would that explane the radiator fluid coming out of the over flow hole(i know this hole has a name) by the radiator cap? Also, how important is it that i torque the bolts on the head becuase i will be more than happy to buy a torque wrench sence i like to do all my own work on my bike :)

Last edited:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
crazy4life said:
Also, how important is it that i torque the bolts on the head

I know one expert race engine builder who doesn't bother. For the rest of us mortals, it is VERY important and stops us from breaking heads, warping heads and having leaking heads. The order you torque the bolts in is also very important. And go in increments. Don't just torque one bolt down and then jump to the next. You'll have a mess if you do.

Top Bottom