Radio Traffic

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I know this will probably get sent to another forum but here goes:
I hear references to radios used by riding companions. What do you use and how do you use them, i.e. mounting connections, etc.
Thanks!
Jerry

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
skipro3 said:
I know this will probably get sent to another forum but here goes:
I hear references to radios used by riding companions. What do you use and how do you use them, i.e. mounting connections, etc.
Thanks!
Jerry

If this in reference to the FRS "Family" radios me & my riding buddies use them all the time. :yeehaw: We use the Motorola Talkabout series but most brands are compatible. I mount it to the sternum strap of my Camelbak. Close enough to hear it at mid volume while riding & easily reached with my clutch hand. Our last ride we had 16 riders in our group & it can be a hassle keeping together. Its especially useful when someone has a breakdown on the singletrack. You can radio ahead & let the group know know your status without someone having to turnaround & backtrack to your position. Best $29.00 I've spent in awhile.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Kinda hard to see in the pic but I've got my radio wire-tied to my chest protector
http://dirtrider.net/teamdrn/showphoto.php?photo=4806&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500

As does 'Carvr
http://dirtrider.net/teamdrn/showphoto.php?photo=4652&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500

I've got a Cobra GMRS/FRS radio
I has a call button that sends out a tone of different beeps to get your buddies attention and let 'em know you wanta say something.

When I crashed Sunday I just laid there on the side of the road and hit the call button over and over until 'Carvr said "WHAT?"

Awhile back I became trapped under the bike wedged in between some trees and had to call him on the radio to come and SAVE me! :eek:

Another time I was riding and I heard his voice come out of nowhere say "Watch out Wibbens!" I was wondering :think: hmmm, watch out fer what? About that time I met 2 bike screaming right at me! :eek:

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
My wife and I use Maxxon radios. We use a combo of duct tape and velcro to attach them to the bottom rear of the helmet. These use a mike and ear speaker which we route the wires along the shell and lining of the helmet. With this setup there are no buttons to push, you can set them to VOX and when you talk they work. Once you ride with them you won't ride without them, they are that handy. Unless she gets pissed at you and starts hollering in your ear! Then that off switch comes in handy. :cool: :laugh: I've also heard that the Chatterbox brand works great.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
So Wibby,CC and 250Rdude, you don't use an ear bud and mic? Just the radio strapped to your chest and no problems hearing? I like that. I was thinking of going with the earbud and PPT mic wired into my helmet but afraid of the wire snagging something.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Wib, you and CC look like twins from the photos unless those are the same link?

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
I've got the PTT & earbud setup & tried it around the house. it's OK but I too was concerned about on the trail usage. I'm sure I could route the wire under the chest protector, but thats just one more thing to fiddle with. For me It's much easier to hit the PTT button on the radio with riding gloves on than the PTT on the earbud setup. The KDX is so quiet during normal riding conditions that volume so far has never been an issue.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I tried an earbud once but it kept falling out and I have enough problems riding, I don't need to be messing with that :eek:

The links?

I see 2 different pics when I click on 'em :think:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Often radios are a pain...especially if used by a person with not a lot of sense. Still, they can be a lifesaver or at the least a convenience.

Ear buds/speakers-in-helmets and voice activated mikes don't work. I know several people that have tried several different methods/configurations of that setup. They gave up. On a street bike they may have a place..but not on a dirtbike. imo and all..

Mine is a gmrs unit. Not a whole lot better than frs. Besides, you have to have an fcc license to use the gmrs. (Oh yeah. I got one. Sure. You bet.)

p.s.
Before I said, 'WHAT!?', I said (on my way up a trail), 'I'M BUSY!!'

As long as they are used sparingly, and correctly they're a big plus!! The delimiters stated make them useful about 20% of the time. :(

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
canyncarvr said:
Often radios are a pain...especially if used by a person with not a lot of sense.

Are you trying to tell me something? :eek:

canyncarvr said:
Still, they can be a lifesaver or at the least a convenience.

Lifesaver

Yeah, I just love it when I'm laying there dying on the side of the mountain and all I hear of my buddy is "YOU ARE NOT HOLDING THE BUTTON LONG ENOUGH BEFORE YOU START TALKING! TRY AGAIN"
:ohmy:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
wibby said:
Lifesaver

Yeah, I just love it when I'm laying there dying on the side of the mountain and all I hear of my buddy is "YOU ARE NOT HOLDING THE BUTTON LONG ENOUGH BEFORE YOU START TALKING! TRY AGAIN"

I hate it when that happens. Especially when your upside down in a ravine at the bottom of the gorge! :-) (nasty quad accident that was...)

-Maurice

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Sorry about saying you looked like CC, Wib. Me Bad!!! My computer musta been so stunned looking at CC's photo, it wouldn't download yours. Now that I can see yours, it's obvious that is you. (Love the belly poking out from under the chest protector). Reminds me of the Pillsberry Dough Boy.
CC got supten fuzzy stuck in his helmet, looks like. Is that a squirrel in there with him?

Thanks for everyone's help. It saved me a bunch 'o money not buying the earbud and remote PPT mic. My ski radios should work fine for trail riding now.
(These are legal for enduros, aren't they?)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…