OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Is there any kind of technique to use for crossing RR tracks?
Those darn things seem to be spaced exactly wheel base length apart so that the front wheel gets jammed directly into the rail on the far side and causing minor bruising. :bang:
I feel kinda goofy getting off my bike and lifting EACH wheel over one at a time, but on my last crossing I couldn't even do the little "walk along side and pop over" thingy because the rails brought the bike to a dead stop!
Maybe next time I'll try flying up to them at a 45 degree angle in wet conditions and just rip it! ;) :rotfl:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I hate RR tracks. When I was a kid on a TS 125 I slid out on the rails and got stuck on the ties between the rails. My buddies thought it was pretty funny when a train started coming but I just about shat myself. They finally helped me off but from then on I looked for a drainage ditch tunnel under them or a road crossing.

I've seen people jumping them but never tried myself. Of course now that bikes have more than 4 inches of travel it probably isn't a problem.

YZ Teacher

Mar 13, 2007
RR Tracks

I have to cross these all the time. I power into the first track, floating the front an few inches off the ground and it the track with the front wheel. This pops my front end up and with the power still on over the second track. Then I ride it out with my back simply crossing both tracks.

Also, always do this 90 degrees to the track or it could get interesting very fast.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'm with YZ Teacher, I just rip it and stay on the gas. I used to ride 6 miles of railroad tracks to get to the area we rode at. Sixth gear tapped on a 125, sitting on the tank, back tire swapping three feet side to side sometimes. That was a rush. We used to race the trains, my RM125 was about 5 mph faster than the trains. Every time I got to the tracks and there was a train I would try to pass the locomotive. Them things are LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG, lol.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
The problem for me is the spacing.
Popping over the first rail is no problem, but when the back tire hits the first rail, it pulls the front wheel down directly in front of the second rail and STOPS all forward momentum. Ouch!
The particular crossing I'm refering to is fresh and the ballast doesn't even cover the ties, so the rail is at least full height and more if you get caught between ties.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
On the tracks I used to ride, the rocks were sloped up to the top of the ties and the rails stuck up full height. Momentum is key, you can't hit 'em goin 5 mph, you gotta get the bike off the ground a little. Keep on the gas so the back tire doesn't get caught on the second rail. What bike are you doing this on?

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
_JOE_ said:
....What bike are you doing this on?
I didn't have as much trouble on my Husky 360 as I do with my CRF250X. I think it's a combination of wheel base and stiffness. The Honda just mushes right into the far rail.
Last time I tried it, I couldn't get the front wheel over even by standing to one side and rocking it. It just stabbed into it. I used to be able to walk my Husky right over it.
Naturally, this doesn't instill confidence about trying to do it fast! :yikes:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I've always found momentum to be the key as well, but I haven't a lot of experience with railroad tracks.

no matter what, though, always hit it perpendicular

Top Bottom