pace

Nov 21, 2003
So the lanky fellas here like to talk about lowering their pegs. I know I'm not the only shorty here, and I was wondering if anyone had tried raising theirs just a little. I'm trying to accomplish two things right now; firstly, getting my feet closer to the ground when they're off the pegs, and secondly to get my butt further from the seat when I'm standing. Raising the pegs would obviously address the latter.

I've shaved off about an inch of seat foam which looks like it will help a little with both goals. I really don't want to do anything that will compromise suspension travel, as I hit the bigger jumps and can already get the tires to clean the fenders. Especially the front.

I have a 30" inseam and I guess I'd like to just raise the pegs maybe 1/2 - 3/4". I'm definitely a little wary of changing the shifter/brake to peg relationship if I raise them too much.

I know one option is to weld a footpeg carcass on top of the existing pegs, but was wondering if anyone has done this specifically with the CR. Alternatively, are there aftermarket replacements available that will raise the peg position?

Another option I'm considering is an extra half inch of sole on my boots. I just don't know any place local that I would trust to do it right.

Cheers,
-pace

p.s I'm surprised nobody actually manufactures a lower seat foam..

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm about 5'6" @ 185lbs.
On whoops, I can feel my butt tapping the back of the seat. And I know if I catch one just right, its gonna catapult me right over the bars.
I saw threads here on elongating the lower holes for the subframe to lower it. They say it lowers the back of the seat approximately 1/2".
I'm not to keen on the idea of elongating the holes. So I bought a used subframe from E-Baby. I'm gonna cut, shorten and reweld the subframe brackets. I'm not sure on how the silencer is gonna bolt up, I might have to modify the subframe. I think the air box boot should be pliable enough to angle downwards.
Unfortunately I'm not gonna have time to tackle this project until summer.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
You don't need to elongate the holes. Weld up the holes and drill new holes as far up against the square tubing of the subframe as you can(leaving enough room for the bolt heads). I have done this on my 99 and it lowered the rear of the seat about 3/4". I am 5'6" with about a 30" inseam also. Coupled with cutting my seat foam about 1", I can now touch the ground very comfortably and the seat to butt distance when standing keeps the seat from hitting me. After these mods, the silencer and plastics still line up fairly well. If I had gone any more, it would have created a few more issues with the plastic. Modifying the silencer mounts aren't usually a problem.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Yeah... I've seen Marcus' thread on lowering the subframe. It's a neat trick, but I'd rather try other routes first.

The tracks I ride don't have whoops, but nonetheless I do need to get my butt further from the saddle. I chopped the seat foam which should help a bit.

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
Whats the easiest & cleanest way to cut the seat foam?

I've heard of an electric carving knife or a bondo file.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I used the electric knife. It worked very well. I then smooothed it out with sand paper. Cut a little bit at a time and test fit on the bike until you trim enough. If you trim too much you'll feel the seat base and even the staples, so go easy.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
I used a hacksaw blade, and then smoothed out the bumps and ridges with a 40-grit sanding disc (on an electric drill). It's not perfect, and I can feel imperfections with my hand, but it's good enough for my backside. It looks smooth with the naked eye.

As I said earlier, I'm very surprised that nobody sells (a) lowered seat foam, and (b) raised pegs. I'll wager there are just as many guys with a 32" or less inseam as there are giants who need the converse.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Thanks, Marcus. I didn't think the chassis changes were particularly noteworthy since '03, but I'll look into it further. The microfiche certainly shows two sets of partnumbers for '02-'04 pegs, so its possible that the '04+ pegs are higher.

-pace

Top Bottom