Ran 13' kx450f out of oil, wont start

lellis844

Jun 16, 2014
Hello all,

Getting right to the point, I lost the small oil drain bolt during a practice session and when I made it back to the truck I noticed some oil on the ground, and at that point the bike was almost completely empty. I took it home, drilled/tapped a new drain bolt filled her back up and it started right up. Took it to the races the next day and started right up for morning practice and first moto. Come second moto (when the bike was completely cool) it didn't want to start, it took a good 20 kicks and I had to give it some gas after that to get it going, and finally it started and I parked it to watch the experts. After the race it started back up no problem as well as when I got to the gate. The next day I went to change the oil again and it wouldn't start. Checked valves they are all in spec, getting spark, no electrical warnings on the LED light indicator, leaving me stumped. The first thing to go would be the top end when dealing with oil starvation, correct? Seeing as the valves are in spec and the bike ran fine for the races I am not sure what to think. Fuel pump?

Thanks in advance!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There is a very good chance you seized a cam bearing, damaged the piston skirt, or the rod bearings. Time to pull the the cam cover at a minimum and inspect the cam lobes, valve buckets and cam bearings.

Top Bottom