buckeyebilly

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2003
I have recently bought a used 2002 CRF450R and do mostly woods riding. Could anyone tell me what the expected mileage/range is with the stock 2.0 gallon tank. I am contemplating a larger tank if it is under 50 miles and I think it is? Thanks!

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
You may be able to get 50 miles on a tank depending on your riding. Observed mileage on my '03 has ranged from under 15 mpg to as much as 30. So I would think in tighter going you have a very good chance of making 50 miles consistently, it just depends.

Anybody else?

xr284

Mar 18, 2003
yeah it all depends, I bought a bigger tank for my crf because i ride at the dunes alot, and with the crf wide open, she dosent last very long on 2 gallons of gas. If you baby it, you should easliy be able to get 50 miles from a tank of gas. All depends on how hard your ride!!

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Buckeyebilly ... I've had my CRF-450 since June 2002, mostly ride the woods of Michigan, am an ordinary trail rider with no special skills. While I agree with the postings of the others who have responded ... I find that mileage is a poor means of assessing fuel needs as it is so dependent upon your riding style ... I am 56 and ride like you'd expect an old man to ride, that is I am steady on the throttle and tend to cruise the trials rather than run them in 'race mode' [i.e., hard on the throttle, hard on the brake, hard on the throttle] ... I have found that with mostly riding in first to third gear situations on reasonable trails at lower revs I can easily approach 42 to 45 miles on a full tank of premium gas which translates into motor operation time in the range of 3.0 to 3.5 hrs total. These are trails that have occasional deep sand portion, whoops, hills, mud and hardpack ... the main dependent variables under these circumstances seem to be the engine rev's and how hard the motor is working. Regardless, on such trail rides, I tend to keep track of the motor operation time and try never to exceed 3.0 hrs without access to refueling. Perhaps open trail riding circumstances such as deserts or firetrails are different, but I suspect that if you need 50 miles out of a single tank of fuel in the woods, you will want to increase your capacity by at least 0.5 to 1.0 gallon over the 2.1 gallon OEM tank ... and you might want to invest in a SenDec Motor Meter for your bike to give you accurate operating times ... not only does this device make it easy to tell how long you have been riding on a specific trail, but it is nice for keeping track of the important maintenance things like changing oils, filters, and the all important valve lash checks needed to keep your 2002 CRF450 purring like the happy cat it should be ... best twenty five bucks I have spent on my bike. Good luck & good riding.

xr284

Mar 18, 2003
One day i rode for about six hours on a tank full!! That was with my stock tanks to, this was on very tight trails, where i couldn't even leave first gear, but at the dunes i probably can ride for about an hour!!

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I have about a 35 mile fairly tight woods loop I ride with a friend but we are afraid to ride the 40-45 mile loop cause we get real close to the bottom of our tanks. I was at the dunes and I knew I was cutting it close then I ran out after I took a wrong turn and then tried to double back to the parking lot. I was able to talk someone out of some gas in his trike. I think I went less than 40 miles too if I had to guess. I am really thinking about the Clarke Mfg tank I think it is over 3 gal.

xr284

Mar 18, 2003
Thats what i bought is a clarke, i love it.. Its 3.5 gallons, i think?? It fits very nice and very clean, without making it feal big!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom