s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
i just started my kdx 250. While running, the bike is making a loud tapping noise from somewhere in the top end.

I used a large dowel as a stethescope on the top end and it was definitely coming from that area.

what could this be. I rode it and it felt fine.

im in comp. class at school so i gotta go. thanks for any repies

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
The 91 KDX250 that I bought has the same noise. The bike rides fine and the owner said he just did a top-end last season and found no problems. He said he "never really noticed" it before and has had no problems with it. There is a leak at the exhaust o-rings, so I'm replacing those, but the springs are tight and I can't see anything rattling around down there.... any thoughts?

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
I had an old IT200 and it uses to make the most bizarre, tapping/squeaking noise. It turned out it was from a stripped head stud causing a leak...but I guess this wouldnt be the case with a water cooled engine.

Are you sure its not pinging? ****e fuel and/or too high compression will do it.

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
KDXFORU said:

Are you saying that KIPS makes that sound when it's going bad? Or does it make that sound normally? If the KIPS is going bad, how hard is it to replace or repair?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm a 4 stroke street guy getting a crash course in 2 stokes!

StrokesX2

Mar 2, 2005
I thinks he's saying that the KIPS makes that noise normally. My 96 KDX200 makes a weird rattling noise at idle, but runs great. I know they changed the KIPS configuration in 95, but it may be the same thing.

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
I have a theory...

I had (just sold it last week) a KDX250SR. It is very similar to the US version, but it is a bit different in the KIPS area... it only has the two side valves. It does not have the main front valve AND the side valves like the US version...

Ever since I bought the bike it seemed to be real noisy in the top end area... but it ran OK. Actually everyone who heard the bike said I needed a top end!

So I finally decided to replace the rings - assuming that when I was done the noise would go away. When I tore the engine down, I noticed that the gears on the aluminum side valves were worn and I could "turn" them slightly... ie. there was some slop in the gears meshing with the actuating rod. Unfortunately I did not have any new valves to put in... so I put in the new rings, but was not surprised when I still had the same rattling sound from the top end area. I envision the side valves (at idle) rattling like the dickens creating an awful top end noise.

I did buy some new side valves, but didn't get around to replacing them before I sold the bike... I would have liked to know if that would have reduced the rattling sound or not.

Maybe this is what's going on with your KDX250... what do you guys think?

Jim

p.s. by the way keep a look out for some KDX250 parts to hit that popular auction site in June! :laugh:

Top Bottom