Rb Carb Mod + Flywheel Weight For Northwest Riding

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
OK before I get blasted for posting a thread that has already been covered, I did a couple of searches on flywheel weights. I am looking for some specifics. I ride almost exclusively in very tight trail conditions. Most days are 1st thru 3rd gear only. Here in western Oregon we have very tight rutted, slippery, rocky, rooted, nasty (cant think of any more descriptive words), hills. I have a '92 200 with FMF gnarly pipe, RB carb mod, Boyesen 607 reeds, airbox lid removed. I like the power my bike delivers, but find a lot of stalling on these uphills when you have to kind of trials your bike up these things. I previosly owned a KTM 200 exc and found fewer stalling problems. Does anyone have the RB card mod and run a flywheel weight, and if so, does it help this situation? Also, does anyone have the RB head mod (squish band) with these other mods, and how does it affect performance? Anyone who rides these similar Northwest conditions your input would be greatly appreciated. By the way this winter's weather has been brutal causing very little riding and cabin fever. I always find spending money on my bike during these times help immensely.

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
I used to do everything you mentioned. Except I had an '04 220 and DF3 reeds. Everything else I had and I rode the north Cascades in WA year round, even in snow. I also went one tooth down on the CS. I could tractor easily and not punish the clutch. The RB carb mod made a huge difference in low end response and smoothness, but it also helped out tremendously on the top end. The 220 really loves the larger carb and divider plate and slide profile, and other cuts, and perfect jetting and the famous RB second sweet spot. The FW weight was noticeable in both keeping the engine going and taming the power delivery. Although my best fix for power delivery on the trails mentioned was to use a CEL needle and the second sweet spot. In all it was a fine package. Choice of rear tire needs to be considered too. Many riders up there chose the M-12's for the rear.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I highly recommend the flywheel weight. It wasn't a huge difference, but noticeable. I rarely if ever stall since I put on the weight. I just installed an RB Air Stiker carb and will shortly be getting into the fine tuning stage with it.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Thanks for the input, keep it coming. I've got a brand new Dunlop rear tire so traction doesn't seem to be the problem. It sounds like the FW weight smooths out the power delivery and that is what I am looking for. Like I said, most of the riding here is 1st thru 3rd stuff and stalling can be a problem on tight trails and uphill/downhill sections. Does anyone have the RB carb mod + RB head work + FW weight? I am wondering how this affects performance.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I'd highly recommend the auto-clutch for the trails you describe.
Once I got used to how they engaged, it became a no-brainer for gnarly, muddy, slippery stuff.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Where do you ride firffighter? I'm always looking for some new trails just like you described. We're both in the same boat...I just ordered a bunch of new parts for my bike while I wait for the weather.

GS

Jun 29, 2003
From the conditions you describe, a lot like my own, there are quite a few who love their autoclutch, "won't ever have another bike without one" , etc...If you would like more background info, search here and at the kdxrider.net site for more on the clutch.
AND if you do give it a try, you can let the rest of us know how it all works!! ;)

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I have read quite a bit about the autoclutch, and it seems like it would be a great for the sloppy riding here in Oregon. But, I really dont want to spend that much money on my bike. I'm right at $1500 with all of the mods so far, and dont want to go much further. The RB head mod is only $40, and a FW weght is under $100. I just wonder if these are worth doing for the desired outcome?

Kdxchode,
I have been riding in the Colton/Estacada area. Lots of trails, but you have to spend some time up there to figure out where things are. What parts did you order for your bike?

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I have heard of riding areas up there but they seem to be pretty elusive. Are they maintained trails or just a local secret?

I just ordered all the parts for a new top end and I also had a front wheel bearing go bad on me. Nothing exciting...just maintenance stuff.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Kdxchode,

There is a maintained trail system up there, but it is still hard to figure out. The locals up there have it mapped out and know them inside and out, but they wont give away their secrets. I ran into a guy in Estacada who was a KTM factory rider and he lives up in Colton. He told me about their private network of trails and pointed me in the general direction, but would'nt be specific. I think it has a ton of potential, but a lot of time in the saddle to get it figured out. I would love to spend more time up there since it is close to where I live, but I also have three little boys who ride and it is not a very good place to take them. If you are interested is going up there sometime, maybe we could work hook up on a ride.

Aflica

May 23, 2004
Hey firffighter , i have both the RB carb mod and the Head mod....well worth the money , you'll like em if you do them , as they are great for me on the Island tight stuff ,and its definitely not maintained here , as you know.

Top Bottom