RC aboard the 450! Vote - should he race it?

Should RC risk a perfect season and ride the 450 at the last two rounds?

• Yes

Votes: 56 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 62 48.4%
  • Tough Decision

Votes: 10 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Well... as long as RC beats Ferry next weekend at Millville, RC will clinch the 250 MX title. Rumor has it that RC will then race the CRF 450 at the last two rounds - Broome Tioga and Steel City.

Question is... if RC sweeps both motos at Millville next weekend - do you think he should risk a perfect record-breaking season by switching bikes with two races to go? I would like to see RC on the 450 - just not sure if I would do it with a flawless season on the line. Let's hear your thoughts!

Here is a photo of RC's public debut on the 450 at Loretta Lynn's yesterday.

Attachments

• r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 702

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
It aint like he is suddenly gonna slow down or the bike is unreliable. He'll spank everybody senseless on the thing!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I agree that he would probably win on either bike, but IMO he will stick with the 250 as long as he has a perfect season. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity even for someone as talented as RC - no reason to change horses in mid-stream.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I agree, switching to another bike, no matter how reliable, could be a voodoo nono. I think he should finish out the season on his regular ride, and then he can concentrate on the thumper.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by RoosteR13
I agree, switching to another bike, no matter how reliable, could be a voodoo nono.

Rooster - you make a good point. RC is very superstitious (like the whole orange/white gear thing in main events after he DNFed the first Anaheim SX main wearing the red/black Honda gear).

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
I also find it rather strange knowing how superstitious he is that he would do that. It could also be Honda leanig on him a bit to do it so as to prove how good their 450 is just before the YZF450 comes out. I have no doubt he is just as fast if not faster on it, and he wouldn't do it if he didn't feel the same, plus he probably would be getting a nice bonus if he wins on it, but it just seems a bit out of character for him. If he pulls the perfect season while switching bikes completely, well...that will be the double icing on the cake Mister (Misster for Nikki :) )

B

biglou

What about him racing Bubba in the 125 class after he clenches? Did that rumor die? Personally, I think that if he does switch bikes, he will already be very confident in his ability on the new one.

Speaking of that-Billy, did you get to twist the throttle on Ferry's bike last weekend?

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
I think RC has already ridden the CRF450 and thinks he can still win with it. I'm sure he will wait till after the title is clinched, but I'd be willing to bet that Honda will MAKE him ride it (unless RC tells Honda that he thinks he will embarrass them on it). There may have also been some language in his big buck contract about it anyway.

Unfortunately, when RC ends the season with the final two wins on the 450 and he smiles real wide on the podium and says "Man that four stroke Honda is AWESOME" it will put the final nails in the two-stroke coffin :whiner:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
If he clinches winning both moto's he should go for the perfect season...if he clinches without a perfect win-win I'd like to see him drop down to the 125's to get that class interesting again..he might even add to his 125 win record....and he might find he met his match. Either way it would be fun to watch. Forget the 450CRF. I'd rather see a good old fashion CR250 sing its song anyway.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I think we're forgetting here that Ricky is not invincible. He can be beaten, and he will be; it's only a question of when. The problem with raising the bar the way he has done is that eventually everybody else realizes he needs to step it up as well. The minute RC lets up, makes a mistake, or gets foolish, somebody is going to beat him. Then he might well regret not giving 100 percent to his attempt for a perfect season.

Stretch374

Apr 22, 2001
I agree with "billywho" Honda wants to get a couple of big wins on the CRF right before the YZ450 comes out.

I think Tortelli should have switched to the CRF450 long ago.
If that guy could get a top 5 start he would be able to give RC some trouble. Tortelli I'm guessing weighs about a good 35-45lbs more than RC and I think the CRF450 would help level out that difference.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I say he should switch before he clinches. Show everyone how big of balls he's got. Toss the superstition out the window and go for it. Then if he still spanks everyone on it he'll have that much more of a mental edge.

I just hope someone beats him. Soon.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I voted NO, even though it would been fun to watch either rumor come true.

Mike198

Jul 8, 2002
I remember Ricky saying, he's not really effected by all the talk about the records. He said he would worry about the championship first, so i think he will try out the crf 450 after he wins the next round, and the championship. Anyone wanna pace a wager??? JK

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Big Lou, no but I got a couple nasty welts on my chest from the start and first couple of laps from it LOL. His surfer teammate was struggleing a bit on the moto day I think. The way it worked was the moto guys did two laps, then your surf guy did two laps, for like a half hour (20 laps). It was really fun, we got fourth the first moto and dnf'd with a flat front in the second while in third :ugg: .

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Does anyone care for a perfect season after winning the title, this seems to be tempting fate, a win on the 450 would be a great way to end the season !

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I vote NO WAY!! He may say he's not concerned with the record books but I'd say it has to be on his mind. ;) The 450 will be there for him to spank the competition on in Supercross and in the offseason/overseas races. :aj:

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I think he has ridden it in practice so many times that he is probably as comfortable on it as he is on the 250. I am also betting he will switch to the four stroke (the reason he said he came to Honda) by next outdoor season, if not sooner. How cool would that be to see RC on a four stroke, MC on orange and Ferry on the new blue 450 for the SX season :cool:
OK, I can dream can't I? :moon:

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
250 for the perfect season. Great record for RC and Honda. I'm sure Honda would like to lay claim to a perfect season with no failures on the same bike.

450 MXDN for sure.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I say go for the perfect season and that means not changing rides. Never change when your winning. IF the perfect season gets toasted then hop on a 125 and let's see just how fast that Bubba fella really is :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Doesn't matter what he rides, at this point. He could win the 250 class on a 125.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
Just my personal opinion, but I think it would be EXTREMELY stupid of Honda and RC to switch rides if he's still perfect after Millville. To be #1 for 12 events, 24 consecutive motos would be an outstanding record to own. I'm not an RC fan by any means, but I think he's got to go for this record. It's too much of a risk to switch bikes when everything is going so PERFECT for him.

Now, if he doesn't maintain the "perfect" streak, that's ok too. He's had an outstanding year already and you sure have to respect him for what he's done. In this case, I'd rather see him step down and ride a CR125 and race with Bubba. I think we'd really have some good racing there. The 450 will be there next year. It would be cool to see him ride it. However, in my opinion, if he's going to ride the 450, he should ride it for both SX and MX.

Just my thoughts.

motomickey

May 9, 2002
No way should he change for US Nationals. For the MXdesNations he should be on the 450-I rode that course this week and it is not technical, very soft and sandy, and EXTREMELY FAST. He should run the most powerful bike he can find and then put nitros oxide on it. Heck, it they'll let him run a paddle, then should

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom