Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
AMA/FIM Reach Resolution on Carmichael Penalty
- press release -

PICKERINGTON, Ohio (March 3, 2006) --The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) and the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) have announced a joint resolution to the points penalty imposed by the AMA on Ricky Carmichael following the February 11 San Diego round of the AMA Supercross Series and the FIM World Supercross GP.

In a post-race tech inspection, the fuel in Carmichael's motorcycle was found to contain more lead than allowed under a standard jointly adopted by both sanctioning bodies beginning with the 2004 racing season.

The AMA has enforced that fuel regulation in its AMA Supercross Series and AMA Motocross Championship for the past two years. However, this is the first time that testing has revealed a fuel violation affecting a competitor entered in both the AMA and FIM series, and while the fuel standard is the same in both rule books, the two sanctioning bodies call for different testing protocols.

The AMA initiated an investigation into the fuel requirement and testing protocols. It then became apparent that this difference in testing protocols would make consistent enforcement of this standard difficult, and the two sanctioning bodies have agreed to cooperate in the investigation, with the goal of creating a unified unleaded fuel standard and testing protocol for the 2007 season.

Meanwhile, the AMA and the FIM jointly agreed that, because of the disparity in testing protocols, a points penalty would be inappropriate in this case. As a result, the AMA has rescinded the 25-point penalty imposed on Carmichael in the AMA Supercross Series standings, and the FIM has said that it will not impose a points penalty in the World Supercross GP standings.

Both sanctioning bodies agreed, however, that a penalty is still appropriate for this fuel violation, and the decision was made to impose a $20,000 fine on the Suzuki team for which Carmichael rides. The AMA and the FIM will equitably donate the fine to the Asterisk Mobile Medical Center, which provides trackside medical support to riders at all AMA Supercross Series/FIM World Supercross GP series and AMA Motocross Championship events and to Riders for Health, a humanitarian organization working in Africa for 15 years reaching nearly 11 million people with regular health care workers riding motorcycles.

"It was clear that the differences in testing protocols raised serious problems for enforcement of this rule,'' said Steve Whitelock, AMA Motocross and Supercross Series manager.

"We think this is a fair and equitable resolution of a difficult situation" said Wolfgang Srb, President of the FIM Motocross Commission.

The AMA has announced that the fuel investigation will be conducted by the Southwest Research Institute's Fuel and Lubricant Lab, an independent consulting organization with nearly 60 years of experience. It is expected that teams as well as fuel suppliers, among others, will be interviewed in this process.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
JBlinky67 said:
Sucks for Chad.

Would you really want to win a championship by like 5 points on a technical violation? It's pretty clear by now that Ricky has picked it up after the "violation" and would probably have cut the points lead significantly by the end of the season. The best rider would have been clear to all involved.

Still, I know what you mean - a championship is a championship. I guess the Steelers aren't whining too much after all that help, are they . . . :nener:

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Didn't they zap Reed a few years ago for the SAME thing?? I don't recall all the details, butnhe got popped.
They MUST have used the same rules/tests them?? All of a sudden it not, acurate??
Yes, it's suck to win a championship through the back door, but if a team cheats, (even if it's something pittly as fuel, (I don't think lead in fuel is going to help a 4 banger!) then doesn't it suck to win that way???
It's tough either way, seems to me they are saying, "Hey Suzuki you cheated, but we're gonna bend the rules for you. Don't worry about waht we did in the past".
Joe

Nick McCardle

Dec 19, 2000
joe28kdx said:
Didn't they zap Reed a few years ago for the SAME thing?? I don't recall all the details, butnhe got popped.
They MUST have used the same rules/tests them?? All of a sudden it not, acurate??
Yes, it's suck to win a championship through the back door, but if a team cheats, (even if it's something pittly as fuel, (I don't think lead in fuel is going to help a 4 banger!) then doesn't it suck to win that way???
It's tough either way, seems to me they are saying, "Hey Suzuki you cheated, but we're gonna bend the rules for you. Don't worry about waht we did in the past".
Joe

Do a search for the post regarding VP Racing Fuel's release on what happened.

Top Bottom