XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
(from a letter to the fans, I picked it up off Motonews)
I would like to start this letter by thanking everyone for all of the extra support this outdoor season. This championship is one that will remain very special to me. I learned a lot when I was forced to sit out the supercross season with my knee injury. The main thing is, I love racing, I love being at the track, and I really appreciate all of my fans and sponsors.

As most of you are aware, this will be my last season with Team Honda. The 2004 Glen Helen National will be my last race with a group of guys that have supported me for three years at the highest level. I have developed lifelong friends at Team Honda and will miss them as I begin a new chapter in my career. On this last weekend together, I would like to do something very special for the entire team: I am going to run the # 1 plate, this weekend only, as a "Thank you" to all of the members of Team Honda.

I struggle with this decision because I don't want this to be about me. In my heart, I am #4. I want this last race together to be my thanks for all of the extra efforts that this team has put forth in order for me to have the best equipment available. This tribute is for all of the mechanics, technicians, truck drivers, the staff that can't always attend the races but assist in building my bikes at the shop, as well as the management team that keep things running smoothly.

A lot of people ask me why I have not been using the # 1 plate already.

Let me explain...

I have been a fan of Jeremy McGrath's my whole life. I was able to spend time with him when I was an amateur racer on 80s and always looked up to MC. As a young 125 pro I would always watch Jeremy and looked forward to racing him. When I moved to the 250 class I began every season preparing for Jeremy. I knew that to be the Champion I would have to beat the best supercross rider ever. Finally, in 2001 I was able to put a complete SX season together and won the championship. I was extremely happy to be the Champ but Jeremy was then and is still "the King." I decided at that point that until I could surpass Jeremy's 72 career SX wins I would never compete in the AMA Supercross Series with the #1.

I have become very comfortable racing with the #4. I also thought that it would become confusing racing the supercross series with the #4 and
then me switching to the #1 for the outdoors, especially for young fans.
But for this one weekend, I would like to make an exception and wear #1 as a tribute to my team, a traditional #1 like I grew seeing in magazines and videos on such great Honda champions as Marty Smith, David Bailey, Johnny O'Mara, Ricky Johnson, Jeff Stanton, Jean-Michel Bayle, Doug Henry, Steve Lamson, and of course, Jeremy McGrath.

I hope that everyone understands and appreciates this tribute and I also hope that I will have as much success wearing #4 with my new team as I did with this one.

So look for an old-school #1 on the front of my Honda this week as a tribute to my team, my sponsors, and as always, the fans. It's been a great three years, and I thank everyone for their support.

Ricky Carmichael

Where did this guy come from? I remember a cocky little turd, but now he's developing into a class act. Very respectable.

I still don't like him, though. :nener:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
More from www.usmotocross.com
September 07, 2004

Traditionalists will certainly rejoice the decision that Ricky Carmichael plans to make for this weekend's series finale at Glen Helen Raceway. As a special thank you to Honda (of which this weekend will be the last race), Carmichael will run the No. 1 plate on his red CRF450 all weekend in San Bernardino, Calif.

A number of years and titles ago, Ricky Carmichael bucked the trend and decided to keep wearing his signature No. 4, despite earning the right to wear No. 1. The decision caused quite a stir -- and still does to some today -- but has cleared the way for many other riders to do the same in the name of brand marketing. James Stewart has stuck with No. 259, regardless of the titles he's won.

MX photo hounds make sure your batteries are charged for this weekend as this will be a Glen Helen Raceway exclusive.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
RC is the man - awesome read!! :cool:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
His team deserves it, plus Honda probably wants some photos for ads w/a #1 plate :cool:

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
XRpredator said:
(from a letter to the fans, I picked it up off Motonews)

Where did this guy come from? I remember a cocky little turd, but now he's developing into a class act. Very respectable.

I still don't like him, though. :nener:

I don't believe you anymore, I think you're a closet RC fan.

slodsm

Jul 20, 2004
That is truly impressive. We were having a discussion yesterday after riding at the track on why RC won't wear the #1 plate. Truly is a class act.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Way cool by RC :cool:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Cool.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
Good to see the #1 number return.
I'm not a big fan of the current numbering system. You never know a rider's rank from the last season.
At least the GNCC stuck with the "old school" numbering.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
gasgasman said:
Good to see the #1 number return.
I'm not a big fan of the current numbering system. You never know a rider's rank from the last season.
At least the GNCC stuck with the "old school" numbering.

I'm with you. I liked it better when the riders 'wore the #s' they'd earned' from the previous season.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
sewer rat ain't right. I'm not soft.

Just because I don't like a guy don't mean I can't respect him. And just because I respect a guy doesn't mean I like him.

And just because I don't like a guy (and I may say I love him) doesn't mean I respect him.

I don't think I like sewer rat

Top Bottom