dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
I really don't believe in CFS, but who knows? The reason I do not believe in it is because what I saw at work. We had a chicky who was taking vitamin shots and under a doctor and another doctor and another doctors care. She self diagnosed herself with this and finally got a doctor to give her disability for this. It reached a head when she was in a relationship that tanked and she shared a backyard and owned the house next door from this guy. Her disability was not a bad "retirement" for someone who only worked a few years. BTW, she seemed to have plenty of energy to walk down the mall at lunchtime (after sleeping at her desk at work) and plan snow skiing vacations... :yell: If someone truly had CFS, in my opinion, it would be all they could do just to get up in the morning. They would "plan" vacations in bed.... ALONE!

As for RC, he may have it. However, the mind does strange things to the body. Yes, he has been going wide open for a long time, but he also has two kids now and is apparently married. (sorry, kind of lost touch with mx/sx after McGrath... but ESPN coverage stinks now). He may be dealing with his age, his new responsibilities and the pressure could be building of all of these things. May he get through this, get healed, and get back on top of his game. He will have to eventually come to grip with the fact that age eventually conquers all number one riders. It ain't fair, but it is life.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Are you sure it's not "Chronic" Fatigue Syndrome?

"Ricky Carmicheal.... you've just become the winningest rider of all time! What are you gonna do now?"

RC- "I'm gonna go home and smoke a fat bowl!"

I'm joking here.. but ya never know.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
how old is RC anyways?

He is 27; will be 28 next month.

Not sure about the CFS, but I know I would be fatigued with first time fatherhood of infant twins and the full plate he has maintained since he was an amature.

My GUESS is after the X games and MXoN, he is just not feeling it. His desire to be other places, doing other things and the fear of serious injury are overwhelming his desire to compete.

I can't blame him one bit. No one has sustained the fire inside like RC. Now that it's burned low, he should walk away. Getting hurt now would be tragic. He's got nothing left to prove. These last races are meaningless to him and not worth the risk.

Knowing he had these last few minor committments that he did want to fulfull was dragging him down. I'll guess he feels alot better now that he knows he is not racing.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
dirtbikingdad said:
I really don't believe in CFS, but who knows? The reason I do not believe in it is because what I saw at work. We had a chicky who was taking vitamin shots and under a doctor and another doctor and another doctors care. She self diagnosed herself with this and finally got a doctor to give her disability for this. It reached a head when she was in a relationship that tanked and she shared a backyard and owned the house next door from this guy. Her disability was not a bad "retirement" for someone who only worked a few years. BTW, she seemed to have plenty of energy to walk down the mall at lunchtime (after sleeping at her desk at work) and plan snow skiing vacations... :yell: If someone truly had CFS, in my opinion, it would be all they could do just to get up in the morning. They would "plan" vacations in bed.... ALONE!

As for RC, he may have it. However, the mind does strange things to the body. Yes, he has been going wide open for a long time, but he also has two kids now and is apparently married. (sorry, kind of lost touch with mx/sx after McGrath... but ESPN coverage stinks now). He may be dealing with his age, his new responsibilities and the pressure could be building of all of these things. May he get through this, get healed, and get back on top of his game. He will have to eventually come to grip with the fact that age eventually conquers all number one riders. It ain't fair, but it is life.

Just because 1 person faked the illness doesnt mean it isnt real.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
mkelly04 said:
Just because 1 person faked the illness doesnt mean it isnt real.

True, but I wonder what they called it "years ago"?

I won't dispute that RC has ruled. He was and is an awesome competitor. However, I think he has always had difficulty losing... which is why he wins. Duh! As age creeps up on him, he will slow down. There is nothing, but nothing, he can do about it when another "young buck" is knocking on his back fender. Self perservation takes over, reflexes slow, and strength fades. It is only natural. McGrath, may have stayed in too long, but he also had some desire to win even in the later days of his career. He did race and he did watch RC and others check out on him. I don't think RC has it in him to allow himself to be beaten, a.k.a. knocked off the mountain. In a way (IMHO) it is not a mark of an aging champion. Of course, I could be wrong.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
dirtbikingdad said:
I won't dispute that RC has ruled. He was and is an awesome competitor. However, I think he has always had difficulty losing... which is why he wins. Duh! As age creeps up on him, he will slow down. There is nothing, but nothing, he can do about it when another "young buck" is knocking on his back fender. Self perservation takes over, reflexes slow, and strength fades. It is only natural. McGrath, may have stayed in too long, but he also had some desire to win even in the later days of his career. He did race and he did watch RC and others check out on him. I don't think RC has it in him to allow himself to be beaten, a.k.a. knocked off the mountain. In a way (IMHO) it is not a mark of an aging champion. Of course, I could be wrong.
If your reflexes are slowing down and you aren't as strong, then the smart thing is to not compete in a sport like motocross/supercross at that level. I think it was much safer for Michael Jordon and even many of those boxers to come back and compete well past their prime. No sense trying to run that pace, or hang around and graciously lose to live up to some expectations of a fading champion. I would argue he spent two years in SX fighting the losing battles as the aging champion but still pulling off the championship through sheer determination. Must have been tough for RC to get beat in so many SX races over the past few years.

I just don't see how anyone can take anything away from the guy.

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
dirtbikingdad said:
True, but I wonder what they called it "years ago"?
QUOTE]

Burnout.

I agree with dirt bike dave. He has every right to be burnt out. He has achieved more than anyone in my memory as far as winning races and championships. To continue on and risk the chance of injury is senseless. He has proven everything there is to prove.

Thanks for the amazing ride RC. :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The guy did more than just achieve more victories than anybody else he converted ME to a RC fan! That in itself was at one time akin to climbing Mt. Everest with no O2 while wearing only a Speedo and bowling shoes! Sure he couldn't get Pred but he's hopeless anyway and has no heart!

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Patman said:
The guy did more than just achieve more victories than anybody else he converted ME to a RC fan! That in itself was at one time akin to climbing Mt. Everest with no O2 while wearing only a Speedo and bowling shoes! Sure he couldn't get Pred but he's hopeless anyway and has no heart!

:yikes:

That sucks to hear about RC. He worked himself waaay too hard. At least he had an amazing career before this happened.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I sure won't take anything away from him, he's a hell of a guy and has been great for the sport.

No mention of stock cars in that release...wonder if he'll still be racing those? If so, conspiracy theorists would say it was his NASCAR team orders...and that NASCAR team just changed owners, too.

Mar 8, 2007
Long live the memories of the greatest Motocross racer there ever was, or ever will be.
Luckily I have races still taped all the way from his 125 days till the present, and I watch them as I'm on the Exercise bike.
He holds records that I feel will never be beat.
Not just one, but two perfect seasons, the many variables that are involved in this feat are amazing.
And lapping the entire field, in an outdoor National, including Bubba.

Getting married alone, is a stressful endeavor for anyone, when you put that together with his race schedule, his grueling fitness schedule, practice, testing, public relations, having twins and trying to slow down and be a good father and husband.
Recently the pressure put on him to give up the thing he loves most (and he would have easily won another outdoor National championship) to put more time into learning Nascar, bouncing between the two, and lets face it getting older, all has taken a huge toll both mentally and Physically on this very proud man.
I'm positive this is not the way he wanted to go out, or be remembered for, he wanted to go out winning his last Supercross race, and putting a stamp on his racing career.

I wish him the best in his future endeavors, whatever they may be, although I'm sure all of us would love to see him on 2 wheels instead of 4, me I would love to see him take up GNCC, or Super Motard.
Get well G.O.A.T.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Ol'89r said:

Then call it that. Don't hide behind some clinical explanation for it. CFS=BS If you ask me. (I know you didn't. :rotfl: )

We all get it and from time to time be it the season change or just plain stress at work, home or just life in general. Nobody, and I mean nobody is immune from it. You have to overcome it and luckily, most people can get through it without professional help. I could not imagine the pressure RC is under with multi-million dollar contracts and huge manufacturers, who have been handsomely paying him to produce, watch his every move. The wifey, while she probably wants him at home every second, also wants him to get another jet, boat, or villa. Just my guess. Yes, he is under pressure and probably needs to take a year off, or maybe two, while he gets his family rolling. I know I (we) had to back off the things we loved when I (we) had both of our kids. And, our lives changed forever. RC's life will change too. He may have to see a few high dollar contracts slip away and basically, "lose" money. He will eventually come to terms with it and find that racing is not everything and there are many stages in life.

I also wish him the best and realize the positive influence he has had on thousands, if not 10's of thousands, of kids.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
Getting married did not change my attitude regarding risk sports but having kids certainly did. This may be exactly what RC is going through too and at 28years old, it is difficult to admit that or possibly to even recognize that. Adding to this is that he is financially secure and risk for additional $$ may not be worth it to him. Those guys riding for their next lunch are dangerous...

Top Bottom