bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
I thought Rich was at Dirtweek. I am beggining to think he REALLY is a computer program!

I dont think $800 is a lot for that machine- youve only got to rebuild 8 cranks then its paid for. how hard is it to use? ive always wondered how you press the crank and still get the side to side play on the rod correct.

SamLS

Apr 22, 2002
That looks like a nice fixture. It seems like it centers off the bearing journals instead of the flyweights like most fixtures I've seen. Is there any tweaking required after assembly with the fixture meaning is the fixture precise. It would not be difficult to make your own with the right equipment.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Bruce just use a feeler gauge and squeeze what you need. Of thefew cranks I have done <japanese two strokes> they really dont have that much of a tight fit where the press jumps. every one I assembled squeezed in smoothly so you just give a squeeze measure with a feeler gauge give a squeeze etc etc.

It appears to be a straightforward tool use the correct bushings,line all parts up and squeeze in a shop press. Might take you 10/15 minutes to set up but it has to be better than the possible hours spent knocking your crank around with a brass hammer.

Dave, if you think about it the price of the jig is not too much if have to buy a brass hammer, 3 dial indicators and a truing stand if you are dedicated to rebuilding cranks but the dial indicators and brass hammer can see a lot of different uses compared to the jig.

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I'm pretty sure that is done w/ shims, like it is done w/ a regular press. Does this unit still need a 20 ton hydro press to work?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by jmics19067
... Dave, if you think about it the price of the jig is not too much if have to buy a brass hammer, 3 dial indicators and a truing stand if you are dedicated to rebuilding cranks but the dial indicators and brass hammer can see a lot of different uses compared to the jig.
For the number of cranks that I have had done in 30 years (2) I couldn't justify the $800. Sure it would pay for itself after 8 cranks but with my luck I'd realize it after I already had 8 cranks done and then I'd buy the tool and never have to do a crank & I'd end up with a nice $800 paper weight. :think: :confused: It does look like a nice tool but I'd be better off borrowing it from a friend when I needed it. When are you buying yours? ;)

And BTW, doesn't everyone have a brass hammer for those "fine" final adjustments :laugh:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
well for me I will never buy one only because it makes a job too simple. Just like a tire changing stand , I can't have one.

The benefit is that when ever your buddies come over to drink your beer you either brake out a junk crank or an old rim, some rusty archaic tools and the thesaurus for cuss words. by the third trip to the tool box or the 5th page of the thesaurus they will leave and stop drinking your beer. plus you dont have to worry about them asking you to help them with their bike. :laugh:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you use this tool once you'll never do it the old way again. Some of the newer cranks like the YZFs it's pretty much mandatory. The old ways just don't cut it on a lot of newer cranks.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I can see how an RCE jig is completely warranted. I know of a couple of dealerships that wont touch a bad crank unless they are putting in a factory remanufactured crank or new OEM. That is why I started doing my own. I could see quite a bit of money to be made for these guys with one of them jigs,even contemplating buying one for myself and doing the cranks for them. thinking like 150$ or so for a common two stroke rebuilt crank could be a viable market around here and put a little chump change in my pocket.

Top Bottom