RC's Factory Chain Adjusters?

los36

Subscriber
Check out the wallpaper on RacerX.
1st picture, 2nd row.

Is the locknut on his chain adjuster bolt really loose or are they trick factory units?

RM_guy

Scared of DirtWeek<BR>Club *********
Damn Yankees
It sure looks loose to me. It really doesn't matter anyway since once the axle nut is torqued up it ain't going anywhere. Those bolts are only to move the axle for adjustment, not to hold the axle in place.

...or maybe it's some trick factory thing :confused:

it's not loose, it's a long(special)nut to prevend bending of the adjuster bolt.
it's the same as a wheellock nut from a ktm(13mm head).

THe tension on the chain looks real tight to. When my chain is adjusted according to specs in the owners manual it has some droop in it. I don't race MX so maybe things are different with you guys?

los36

Subscriber
I really doubt that his mechanic leaves anything loose, even if it's not critical. That's why I was asking.

Zorro- I haven't seen a KTM chain adjuster up close or haven't paid attention to it...I'll check it out.

pro2K- The geometry of the new Hondas' rear suspension allows the to run the chains with very little slack. Also he's on the gas already so any slack would be on the bottom run. Also, the rearend is already settled down so most of the slack is taken out.

Originally posted by los36
Zorro- I haven't seen a KTM chain adjuster up close or haven't paid attention to it...I'll check it out.
He was talking about the rim lock nuts on KTMs, not chain adjuster.

Ansi is right about the nut.
As for the tension of the chain: I think it comes from the way Factory Honda has mounted the upper chain roller, high on the subframe and not on the frame above the footrest...