Re-building the XR 200 into the bike it once was...

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
The pre 93 XR 200R's were a whole different bike than the new XR 200's today. Longer adjustable suspension I think is the major difference. The motors, for the most part, are much the same, except for the 79's, and the RFVC model around 1994 with the 250 frame.

Is there any company with kits or plans to remake one of the new, existing 200 XR's into something like, say the 1990 XR 200R, which had 36mm leading-axle, air adjustable Showa forks with 10 inch travel, and a Pro-Link rear suspension with Showa shock, fully adjustable,with 96 inch travel. Or is there some better suspension choices than this? I still need to research what other changes I would need, and would be glad to hear any input.

I see what Thumper Racing is offering for the little XR--total fork and shock modification,but I don't know how good this is, ...and I know the other extreme is BBR, which would probably be the expensive route. Anything inbetween here? Or is it as simple as buying the parts somewhere and a simple install? (I am a bad to mediocre mechanic.)

I'm thinking that having a newer XR, with a newer engine, and then converting it to the old style XR, with better suspension, might be a better idea then just finding a pre 93 XR 200 in really good shape. I could get into this project if it is at a reasonable cost, and appears to make sense. The goal is simply to make a lightweight (and nostalgic) thumper for the woods that steers and suspends like the XR's of yore--or even better. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I acquired a 91 xr200 for my girlfriend a few years back and have done a few simple mods to it. As to the suspension that you listed (36 mm forks), I believe that my 91 had 33's, but that is a moot point as I found some 1987 xr250 forks complete with wheel, triple clamp, brake, etc., for a good deal and swapped the whole front end over. Since I was able to use the complete setup, all I had to do was make a 1\2 spacer for the steering stem (which raised the top clamp, bar, and riding position) and hook everything up. There was two main advantages with this: 1) the forks are larger and flex less. 2) I now have a complete front disc brake on the xr and the ride height didnt change (I measured the distance from the axle bolt to the top of the tube and they were the same). As to the rear shock, I havent heard of anything doable that isnt costly. I have often thought that if I could come up with a used up 125 bike, I could put the xr motor in it and have the ultimate play bike. The reality is, it would be cheaper to upgrade at this point if \ when my girlfriend outgrows this bike. FWIW, I have the complete, original suspension (triple clamps, wheel, brakes, tire) from the 91. Iif you are interested in it, drop me an e-mail.

Top Bottom