Re: FMF Gnarly Pipe for 300EXC '01

Total

Nov 15, 1999
Looking to replace the currently trashed stock pipe on my 300exc 2001. FMF's website does not list a Gnarly pipe for this year/model? The local FMF dealer here has 2000 pipes, but they aren't sure if the 2000 pipe is OK for the 2001. Anyone have some experience with this issue? We can also get Pro Circuit, but the problem is rock damage - and FMF Gnarly has a reputation for being more robust than the others?

Many thanks

Mark - Johannesburg, S. Africa

yota

Oct 9, 2001
When the FMF gnarly pipe first came out a few years ago, it was originally called the Burly. I put one on my KTM 200 MXC for a few months and then changed back. With the FMF silencer, the stock pipe made better power everywhere. Also, the FMF pipe never fit well. When the bolt holes were lined up, the pipe always drooled at the exhaust port. I tried new O-rings, silicone, etc. Just my 2 cents. Have you thought about the Doma pipes offered in the KTM hard parts catalog? Grant Langston has been using them for a few years.

Total

Nov 15, 1999
Doma pipes are available, but my biggest problem is keeping the pipe from flattening in the rocks. The stock 2001 pipe seems to hang lower than previous models & is really easily dented. I've fixed it so many times now, that it doesn't fit well nor clear the radiator hose as it should - that's why I was looking for something more durable like the Gnarly/Burly. I have heard that the effect on performance is not great

Mark

PaulXR

Jul 29, 1999
I have the gnarly pipe on my 00 300EXC and it IS stronger that stock. Add a E-Line carbon fiber guard to it and it can take some BIG hits. (Not that I would know!) I noticed a bit more bottom end also, but the top end is not any different. (Like a 300 NEEDS more top end anyway!) I do not know if the 01 and 00 pipe are the same but I bet so, 02 has some engine changes so that could be a different pipe. the 250 and 300 share the same pipe from FMF.

Total

Nov 15, 1999
Your'e right - i don't think the power on a stock 300 is much of a problem. The 2001 runs well with the stock pipe. My immediate challenge is to get a 100% confirmation that a 2000 FMF gnarly will bolt right up & not effect performance on a 2001. Tried emailling FMF directly, but after a week & no reply, I figure it's low on the priority list for them. Thought about trying it by taking the bike through to the FMF distributor here, but that might help with checking fit - but who's to say it will run OK? Can't take it back after 4 hours in a rocky river bed for a refund! We can't get any of the E-line products here in SA - thought about making one myself out of fibreglass once though ...

Last edited:

PaulXR

Jul 29, 1999
I would really think that the 00,01 are the same as the part numbers are. Also you can get ANYTHING from MXSouth so you COULD order it from them and pay $$$ for shipping. Sorry about that!

Total

Nov 15, 1999
Are you sure the part numbers are the same? I see that FMF often put the 250/300 pipes together on the same number. Any explaination why FMF do not list a 2001 Gnarly pipe for a 300? Pity we can't get a reply from FMF - maybe someone in the States can phone them & give us some feedback?! Yr right about the shipping costs, the cost to ship a pipe is almost the same as the pipe itself!

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
."The local FMF dealer here has 2000 pipes, but they aren't sure if the 2000 pipe is OK for the 2001. "

I don't know if the 01 300 and 250 are alike but a buddy of mine who rides a 2000 250 was sent an 01 250 pipe by mistake. It did not fit his bike. The inlet didn't match up.

Montana300

May 4, 2000
If the part numbers for the Gnarly on the 99 and 00 are the same [which I think they are] then that pipe will not fit the 01 without some modifications. I had to modify the Gnarly from my 99 300 to fit my 01 300. The power valve mechanism is wider on the 01 cylinder. I had to take a heavy hammer to my Gnarly and flatten the backside of the largest section of the pipe to fit it to my 01. From that procedure I can attest to the rigidity of the Gnarly, its pretty tough.

Last edited:

Total

Nov 15, 1999
Thanks everyone for the input! My feeling is that the FMF Gnarly 99/00 is not designed for the '01. I'd feel really bad hammering on a new pipe to get it to fit! Not with standing the possible change in performance, it looks as if I'm stuck with replacing with stock or Pro Circuit. I should also probably improve my rock riding ability ... :(

Top Bottom