Mar 18, 2006
Hello everyone,

This site has become my reference for my bike (a 2005 kdx220). The information available here is unbelievable.Why wasn't this available 30 yrs ago when I first became a bike nut? I know everything has been dealt with before, but I was actually shocked when my bike signed off so early in revs the first time I opened it up (about 15sec after I jumped on it). It stopped revving at the top of the midrange, just about when I was going to respect the new motor and shift up. My question: will a rev pipe and airbox mods let this bike rev, or does it take more money to get more rpms? Otherwise, I know I picked the right bike after not riding dirt for 20yrs (I don't know what I was thinking). It would be nice, though, to have a little top end rush on this thing. :blah:
Another question: does anyone know what handlebars are a little higher than stock Honda CR85 bars? I went through all the specs (I thought) with my partsman and ordered a TAG dbl hi cr bar and they are shorter than the stock bars! Side benefit of this is that I think they will fit my KDX perfectly (a little higher than stock). I think my kids think I did this on purpose. Ha!

I type slow, I ride slow, and I am old for a dirt biker (but still young for a man).

thanks all

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Pipe,airbox,reeds,carb mod,porting = much better performance but it's still a 220 trail bike and it's not gunna run like a high strung temperamental mx'r

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
I'm also an old f#rt that recently bought a KDX220 and was dissappointed in the top end, after chucking the airbox lid, fitting an FMF desert pipe and Power core 2 silencer, adding Booyesen power reeds and jetting it properly it is now AWESOME and probably more than I can handle anyway, start with these basics and wrok from there but the pipe is a must!

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Ditto on the pipe. DO NOT get the woods pipe, get the FMF desert pipe. That was the first thing I did to my stock 220 and it felt like a completely different bike. You will not believe the difference that alone will make.

Mar 18, 2006
thanks a lot for the pipe encouragement

Well i guess that's it. I need to spend a little money. All the info on this forum tells me that the right pipe makes a big difference, and you guys just reinforced that. I know that reeds will make the power "crisper". This bike is, without a doubt, a joy to ride. I'm glad it was still available when I went looking for one. They were discontinued in 2005 in Canada and I was lucky to find a new one in 2006 close to home. I phoned all over Alberta and found the best price 60miles away from home! When the kdx models first came out way back when, they caught my interest. When my kids wanted bikes (or when I wanted bikes for them), I didn't want them to ride a slow, porky four stroke, so I found two used kdx80's (one an '86 and one an '81). I had some trouble with the '82 with the ignition (condensor it turned out). I couldn't find a replacement condensor, so eventually the lightbulb in my head went on and I searched the big parts box I got with the '86 (basically a third bike) and installed the spare ignition. this cdi set-up has a much lighter flywheel and turned an already peaky bike into a real little ripper. But what fun! In case anyone is wondering, although I like the appearance of the '81, the '86 is a much more balanced package and actually handles a lot better. I think I can improve the '81 quite a bit if I play in the parts box some more. I have since sold the '86, but since the '81 is not running (cylinder scored from a past maintenance loser), it sits in the shop on display. Why don't the manufacturers build a medium performance bike for kids anymore? Other than maintenance issues due to age, those old kdx80's will smoke the new ttr's, crf's etc like they are tied to a post! My kids now have cr85 Honda's and are addicted to the motocross feel now. I used to trail ride motocrossers in the mountain foothills and, at the time, I did not realize how much extra work that was. Oh, by the way my favourite dirt bike of all time- a 1977 IT175 I bought new. Eventually, someone stole that bike from me- Imagine! I know that my KDX220 will become my favourite dirt bike at some point. It is a REALLY nice trail bike for someone who just wants to putt, pop some wheelies, shoot some roost and generally have a good two-stroke time without having demands of speed placed on you by the bike. And it smells good too. I think everything, and I mean everything, should be two-stroke air-cooled driven (my air cooled tractor does really good thank you). rambling again. thanks for the input you guys!

Jan 3, 2007
Longtime, i also ride a IT175 but its a 79. I love it. I took the IT400 cylinder and piston and had that ported and milled the head. All i can say it woha! It is so light and hadles so much better then the IT400 and has the power of it. The top end went on the 400 so i brought it back to stock and its still fun to ride.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom