slowone

Aug 4, 2006
Aaron, do you have enough foam rubber in the chin area of your helmet? The little guys head is going to be dancing around more than normal at 18mph and your chin or neck is gonna be pretty beat up!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Yamahunt - I think it will be a case of ride the loop as fast as you can. I have seen the loop yet, but I think there will be two five mile sections. The speed average was increased so that everyone would be late. I was in favor of this change, so I everything works out.
They are going to segregate the classes by row assignments to reduce bottlenecks.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
slowone said:
Aaron, do you have enough foam rubber in the chin area of your helmet? The little guys head is going to be dancing around more than normal at 18mph and your chin or neck is gonna be pretty beat up!

No worries, new trail = no whoops. :)

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Smit-Dog said:
The latest from the club on the FES event:

- Format will be start control with an 18MPH average for the entire event

- Course is 11.5 miles long

- A / B / C classes will only ride the course once; all other classes will ride the course twice

- For some of the faster riders, you may very well be able to burn the out-check, and will be docked points accordingly. Just because it's a start control format does not necessarily mean that you can forget about timekeeping.

I worry about the A B and C riders with the 18 miles an hour for the first loop. I actually lost sleep last night. Eventhough, I will not be riding because of injury. I can maintain 18 miles an hour on ORV route or two track trail, so I generally push myself when doing the 18 mile an hour loop. I have had issues with slower riders and not being able to get around them. I have even had parents grab my arm not letting me get around their kid when they crashed. When a strange man grabs a woman in the woods its scary. I did not get around them for another couple miles. When I first started in the FES I was a much slower rider, and some fast riders get quite impatient when they try to get around you. I really hate to see a little rider get hurt because there are riders riding as fast as they can and possible over their heads. At the Pine Cone I was quite shocked that there were riders who were riding with little riding time on the bike. If the trail is like ORV route or two track, then it might not be a problem. Just my 2 cents worth.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Smit-Dog said:
A / B / C riders will be placed in the last 1/3 of rows unless they request otherwise.

It does not always work out that way. Placing the Young rider with later numbers does not guarantee that the faster inexperienced riders will not be behind the 4-7 year olds. Look at Roselawn this year. They did not plan for a large turn out and had several adult classes behind the little kids. I was one of them, I had several kids fall in front of me and found a safe way around them, but that was on the 12 mile an hour loop where I did not have to worry about time. If it was 18 mile an hour it would have been a different story.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
There are always challenges in putting on these events, especially when it's a club's first FES (coupled with a 300-350+ rider National the same weekend!). You never really know what the turnout is going to be, but do your best in the planning and format given the resources and info available.

I don't think that Roselawn had any "X" or "P" riders, so all adults were placed in a class. This was only their second FES event, and with the large turnout I'm sure the club took note of some things they'd do different / better next time.

I think it's fantastic that the Buzzards MC are putting on a FES event, and coupled with the National, it's great exposure for the series and the sport. They want to try a start control event, so an 18mph average makes sense. I do know that they are working hard to make sure the trail is safe and fun for all ages and skill levels.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Smit-Dog said:
There are always challenges in putting on these events, especially when it's a club's first FES (coupled with a 300-350+ rider National the same weekend!). You never really know what the turnout is going to be, but do your best in the planning and format given the resources and info available.

I don't think that Roselawn had any "X" or "P" riders, so all adults were placed in a class. This was only their second FES event, and with the large turnout I'm sure the club took note of some things they'd do different / better next time.

I totally agree with the challenges of putting on an event. I have assisted in promoting Harescrambles, so I understand.

Smit-Dog said:
I think it's fantastic that the Buzzards MC are putting on a FES event, and coupled with the National, it's great exposure for the series and the sport. They want to try a start control event, so an 18mph average makes sense. I do know that they are working hard to make sure the trail is safe and fun for all ages and skill levels.

I to like to see new events, and commend Buzzards MC for joining FES and giving us another place to ride.

My concern is mainly for the 4-7 year olds. I am a mother and a competitor and know whats out there on the trails. I just think the 18MPH average for the first loop will have riders riding over their ability and causing issues with the little kids. Eventhough I do not have a family member riding in the A B or C class, I still worry about the speed. Why not have the first loop 12 MPH timekeeping and have 2 more loops with the start control format for the older riders. Again just my 2 cents worth.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
WR - I understand your concern for the 4-7 group. I am aware of the bottlenecks at other events - we are trying to find ways to keep the events safe for everyone. The club wanted the whole event to be the restart format.
We are open to trying new ideas and suggestions on how to improve the events.

Top Bottom