Really need your advise, exhaust!!!!

mifun3

Dec 18, 2005
Hi guys, I had recently purchased an FMF SST pipe for my 02 KX250, I got an offer for a FMF Gnarly pipe (new)for $155 shipping included. So I started searching through threads in the forums on both pipes.

I found alot of bad comments about the SST mostly about detonation saying it's almost nessasary to use at least 1/2 race gas (which I'd really perfer not to do!!), also about bring cyl temps up. Now regretting my purchase!!!

Now about the bike! Was completly stock but I have recenty purchased a v-force 3 cage and reeds, Silencer will be a procircuit 304 (got it cheap), can't really see it decreaseing performance by mixing brands of silencers. Twin air filter. Thinking about also adding a 11 oz flywheel weight.

I'll be riding (toying around) with a bunch of 30 years old kids (15 guys, including myself :nener: ) that bought bikes last year, mostly 250's.

Don't ride tracks at all, just playing around (trails, sand pits, draging against each other ( think of it as practicing holeshots ;) ) and high speed fire roads) All riders had experience on bikes but have been out of the sport for a while.

Now what should I do? get rid of the SST? Buy the Gnarly???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
I know the Gnarly is great for trails, one of my buds has one on his 02 YZ and it really helps him in the woods with low end. The FMF SST is supposed to be more of a track pipe it seems.
This is all I can tell you,
Lok

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
We ran an SST on my sons RM125 in 04, I got it for a song on that dreaded auction site. We did notice some mild detonation and had to either fatten the jetting or bump the octane to clear it up. I'd likely never purchase another one due to the combination of our experience and the many threads from people who's opinion I respect that had nothing positive to say about the pipe.

If I already owned it like you do I'd most likely try it and see if it detonates and take it from there. We opted to use Torco Mach Accelerator to bump the octane in place of race fuel, due to the amount of fuel my son tends to go through and the cost of the race fuel.

Henka

Dec 9, 2005
I think that pipe is great. But you will have to get your jetting right! go up on main until its to fat. and then go down one stepp at the time. thats how we do over here to get maximum torque on the open MX track's

mifun3

Dec 18, 2005
Henka said:
I think that pipe is great. But you will have to get your jetting right! go up on main until its to fat. and then go down one stepp at the time. thats how we do over here to get maximum torque on the open MX track's

What about the detonation and pinging that people are talking about, if you don't run at least half race gas.

Mike

Henka

Dec 9, 2005
We ride on 95 octane and it works fine. pinging noise is common if your running lean. and then you dont get any power&torque from your engine

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom