Really, really silly question "On the pipe?"

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Hi,

I am just getting back into riding and have not jumped big yet. Heck you couldn't even call what I have been doing jumping really.

I love this message board and have learned alot but what does on the pipe mean?I have read it in some of the posts.

Sorry, it has been 16 years since I rode and back then it was just for fun as it is now.

However with that cursed ESPN and X games I want to try some small jumps and get a lille wild.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:silly:

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
It is when you are kepping the RPM's in the most power producing area of the power band,usually up high. I think it came from long ago when bikes used to be really "pipie" and there was a narrow power band, you were either bogging or screaming the engine, not much in between. It is also used sometimes to mean that the rider is going/riding really fast.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by billywho
I think it came from long ago when bikes used to be really "pipie" and there was a narrow power band,

Exactly, but did you have to say long ago:(

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
billy

now what was the exact color and strength of that power band. "back in the day" they were green and if you cut your rotoray valve correctly you could really roost!

just thought you may help this ole man out in with that information?

:think

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
just thought you may help this ole man out in with that information?

Hey I'm old too, and every body knows the power band "back then" was red with yellow cross hatches:D with a load bearing of 6X9 which was alot for back "then".

ps.. if you were serious, I have no clue:o

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Back then the colors were hard to find,but you could get them in scatch-n-sniff, I think that why we had to stay High on the pipe:eek:

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Yeah I know, I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. I think Ron was one of the all time greats, soooo smooth, I just wish he could have kept it all together ya know.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Back in the day, 2 strokes had pipes that looked like 4 strokes, maybe a 1 1/2inch diameter and as long as they had to be to get to the back of the bike. Scientists then realized that sound waves produced by the 2 stroke could be harnessed by bouncing them back into the cylinder. The only way to figure out how big the pipe was big was to experiment by using different shaped pipes until the desired power was developed. For example, a 2 inch diameter pipe would produce really great top end power at 8,000rpms. A 1 inch pipe would make great low end power at 4,000rpm. The distance the sound waves traveled before bouncing back to the cylinder was determined by rpm. People experimented with funnel shaped pipes which made good power from 4,000 to 6,000 or 6,000 to 8,000rpm.
Then came along computer engineering, todays pipes are designed to keep the correct backpressure at all Rpms and make the power tractable and smooth. A pipe which makes the most power producing backpressure at all rpms would not work well on dirt.
So, in the 60's you wanted to keep the bike on the pipe, the rpms where the bike got the best backpressure.

Top Bottom