sj13

Jan 31, 2009
is there any trick to getting it out? I used a block of wood and a hammer to start it but now I have flush with the swing arm. So I was just wondering if there is some quick way to do it or if WD-40 and a lot of work is the only way.

Also I noticed that the rear wheel didnt spin freely (I know chain makes a difference) the minute I backed off the axel nut off just a touch it spun freely. Is that normal? Just wondering if there is a possible spacer issue.....

the bikes a 2002 RM250....

Thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
sj13 said:
Also I noticed that the rear wheel didnt spin freely (I know chain makes a difference) the minute I backed off the axel nut off just a touch it spun freely. Is that normal? Just wondering if there is a possible spacer issue.....
Thanks

Sounds more like a possible maintainance issue.

If you haven't removed your wheel in a while and greased your wheel bearings, there is a good chance you have a rust problem. Your wheel bearings may be shot and the axle is rusted in. Lay the bike on its side and pour some penetrating oil around the axle and let it soak in for a while. Use a good penetrating oil, not WD-40. WD-40 is a solvent, not a penetrating oil.

Back up the other side of the swing arm with a block of wood and find a long drift that fits the axle and pound it out. Be careful that the drift fits properly so you don't mushroom the end of the axle.

When you get the axle out, you can check your bearings and seals and replace them as necessary. You can also check your spacers to make sure they are the correct ones.

sj13

Jan 31, 2009
sounds good... I am taking it off to switch the sproket and bearings. The guy before me fell behind on the up-keep. So I am catching it up before my first ride on the bike this spring.

thanks for the reply.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I keep a can of this around at all times.Wonderful stuff even if it does stink.

PB-ts_lg.jpg

sj13

Jan 31, 2009
lol it does smell like hell doesnt it...

Got the axel out and it appears to be missing a spacer! Nice huh...

Top Bottom