Rear brake cylinder stuck extended(closed)

tom9286

Feb 25, 2007
After 12 hours of tearing down/rebuilding my rear end I go to put my rear tire on to find my rear brake clamped shut.

Bike: 2003 yz250.

During the build i did have to smash my brake down all the way to get my rear swingarm bolt in.

All that aside now the rear brake piston seems overextended and clamped shut. I cannot seem to get it to go back in. Any suggestions, bleeding etc? I was looking for a simple solution before I drain the system to fix this.

I havn't tried more than pushing it back in and pressing the brake a few times to break it free. After working until 11pm last night on it and finnally putting the rear wheel on i was just pissed and went to bed and unfortunately im at work all day.

It appears as the cylinder is overextened. Anyone ever seen this?

tom9286

Feb 25, 2007
thats my plan for tonight when I get home. Do you expect that to fix the issue? It was late last night and I didn't have time to try too much it just bugged me this mornign so much i thought id post to get a list of ideas to try when I get home!

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
You should be able to push the piston back in. Remove the pads, and try a "C" clamp, or large adjustable pliers to squeeze the piston back in.

If that doesn't work, try loosening the bleeder screw. Use a piece of hose on the bleeder so you don't squirt yourself in the eye! Then compress the piston.

Rotor

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
If you choose to use a channel lock, large screw driver as a pry bar, or any other simliar method to open the brake or piston faces be extremely careful.... you don't want something simple to wind up something complex and expensive. I complement you for calling it a night... generally given the same frustration I really mess things up. In so far as the brake... they should "push" back I doubt fingers can do it... I suggest getting some wood shims, the kind they use to square up door frames. There tappered and being wood you can get them started and tap with a hammer and not worry about damage from metal / metal contact. I frequently use the wood shims, one of those gotta have tools for under $3.00... great stocking stuffer.
Good Luck...

tom9286

Feb 25, 2007
successful.

Ended up being able to press it in with my fingers. I was just too frustrated and tired after 5 hours of straight work going as fast as I could. Since i had a deadline to be able to ride on Sat !

It went in easily. that is, pressing with my palms as hard as I could helped it enough. didn't know it was going to be so simple.

Now its on to fixing up my cracked or broken off drain plug!

Top Bottom