Rear brake line

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I ordered a Russell braided steel brake line to replace the damaged line on my 04 KDX200. When I tried to install it I discovered that it was impossible for the line to make the 180 degree bend back towards the caliper from the master cylinder because the hard plastic covering was placed about 3 inches from the master cylinder end rather than the caliper end. This makes the line way to stiff to curve back and leaves about 6 inches of line exposed at the caliper.

Has anybody else run into this problem with a Russell line? I think it's defective and am planning to send it back but I don't want to cough up the postage to send the thing clear across the country if they are just going to send it back saying that's how they make them.

cb-radio

Sep 1, 2003
im interested in this question too. Anybody have any input? I just ordered a set of Russells and would like to know any problems that i might run into.

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I sent them (Russell) an email to the customer service address last Monday (3/7) and got the 'out of office until 3/14' reply. I tried calling the customer service dept half a dozen times over the last week but gave up each time after 10-15 minutes on hold.
I'm not very impressed with Russell. I'm sending the brake line back to them tomorrow with a note and pictures detailing the problem. Needless to say, when it comes time to replace a brake line again I'll be trying another company's product.

iamknowitall

Aug 23, 2005
All,
I have the exact same problem with the Russel Line. I was replacing another aftermarket line and am not sure of the factory routing. I cant figure out how to make the new Russel line work. Think its going back to Dennis Kirk. Any other ideas?

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I actually "fixed" mine. All the bending back and forth trying to get it to route right finally broke one of the shrink wrap seals on the plastic guard so I was able to slide it down the line towards the caliper end where it belongs.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…