kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I was wondering if there was a hot setup for rear brake pads. I'm on a 03 KDX200 running EBC pads. When I'm working them in a long section, they heat up, squeal and get grabby.

Who makes the best pads for the stock rotor and is anyone running a solid rear rotor?

TIA

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Have you flushed the brake fluid and replaced it with Hi Temp Motul?

If not, you should, and you should replace it often.  This will help with the feel.  Are you using full metalic pads?  If so, they heat up quicker than semi-metalic or organic.  However, the metalic pads last a lot longer in sloppy mud runs.

I'm not a brake dragger so I don't have a problem with my brakes overheating.

GREER RACING

Jun 27, 2002
Tim gave you some very good advice about the fluid. Alot of people do not understand the importance of fresh brake fluid. Also, if your brakes start to feel a little mushy, change the fluid. You should find that this solves all your problems. Once you have fresh fluid in your system, it is not necessary to drain the whole system as long as you maintain it periodically. Here is the method that I use with great success.
1)Remove the master cylinder top.
2) Bleed off brake fluid, as if you are trying to remove air out of the system, until the fluid is just above the brake line hole in the bottom.
3) Refill master cylinder with fresh fluid.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 one more time.
I do this every 2 or 3 races and I have absolutely no brake problems. This method also prevents air from getting into the system. I use EBC brake pads front and rear with Maxima brake fluid.

Hope this helps you out,
Gary

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I use a solid rotor with Vesarah Kevlar brake pads. They last a long time and have great stopping power. Feels better than the ktm or Yz.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
If you are a brake dragger like me you will have this problem with your rear brakes. All of the above are right on with fresh fluid being the top priority. I flush my fluid prior to every enduro with Maxima 500 degree. A buddy of mine uses Valvoline high temp and it is also over 500 degree boiling point. The price is half of Maxima and it's sold in most automotive supply stores. I plan on trying Valvoline next week at a Hare Scrambles and I let you know how it works. Also in race mode half wore brake pads heat up quicker than fresh pads. I keep the wore pads for trail riding and use new pads for racing. With all of this I can race 100 miles with out any brake problems.

Top Bottom