Karbon_Dunn

Jun 4, 2004
I own a '93 KDX 200 in which one of the rear pad pins has been stripped out in the head by the previous owner. I attempted to use a screw puller to remove the bolt but in doing so it broke off the puller in the pin. The machine shop I took it too stated that in attempting to remove this bolt it would tear up the caliper and stated they would not do this.

Anyone have any idea's on how to get this pin removed before having to go to somewhere like bikebandit and dish out $236 for a $10 part that should have not been placed back into service?

Thanks for any input!!

Last edited:

Karbon_Dunn

Jun 4, 2004
I tried the Dremel bit you suggested and heating up the caliper with an acetylene torch with no avail. The bike only has 600 miles total on it so I would assume that the brake pads have never been changed on it. I believe it is just stuck :ugg: .

I succumbed to ordering it from my local Kawi dealer for a very low price of $286...blah. Not that bad since my carb is at RB and my engine is at EG's for a bump up to 225. That gives me time to decypher all the jetting info on site since I seem to have a hard time understanding it up to this point.

Thanks for the info though JasonWho!!

:bang: :ride:

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Try some of the other machine shops in your area and ask if anyone has a EDM machine(electrical discharge machine) basically it uses a small electrode in a oil bath to burn away the broken or stripped out fastener leaving completely intact threads,you will have to take the caliper apart, remove the piston and seals but it is alot cheaper then a new caliper.
There was a artical in one of the dirt bike mags recently that had a fellow that specilized in broken fasteners but I can't recall his company.

Karbon_Dunn

Jun 4, 2004
I emailed you about that part for the caliper JasonWho. I have another 93 KDX that is going to get revamped a little later this year but not to the extent of my primary bike. That bike is for friends that don't have a bike to ride and wish to or are trying out first time.

JDBrusch, thxs for the info. I did find a place here in Indy that does have that EDM machining and am in the process of looking into it. :cool:

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Not sure if this might work also but if you can cut the pad pin in half or into 3 pieces and remove just a section of it to get the pads out you might be able to grab ahold of the pin with vise grips and try to rotate it from the slot in the caliper housing if there is enough room,sorry this is just a suggestion I do not have my bike with me right now and forget if there is enough room to work with.
Remember when you go to put it all together again to use some good anti-sieze on the brake pins,in the case of these things to much is never enough ;)

Karbon_Dunn

Jun 4, 2004
Yes I am not finished with the death of the caliper that is giving me grief to this point but JasonWho was kind enough to sell me a spare rear he had which is greatly appreciated. It will either be torn up past the point of being funtional or become a spare especially since I know those are now a 'rare' item to find.

The company that has the EDM machine I found out is a manufacturing facility and does not do repair work. I know of a couple others that I am looking into and will update if I find anything out.

I received my engine back from EG's and my carb from RB Design yesterday and after an hour of drooling and dreaming I have decided to postpone work and create another 3 day weekend in hopes of getting my bike up and functional for a ride this weekend in hopes. EG's is the best. I had a 9 day turn around from ship to receive for a complete engine rebuild and the 198cc kit. I stated earlier the 225cc which JasonWho pointed out in which I was incorrect in stating.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I know where you could have gotten an 8-week turnaround........;)

But...you have a 200 and it's a 198cc kit?

What's it all about, alfie?

Does 'complete' mean bottom end, too? Nine days is a good deal!!

Let us know how it all works out!

Top Bottom