pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
I was doing a pretty big jump today and right before taking off the rear end slid out and whipped around in the air(to the left). I turned the front wheel to keep it going parallel to the landing. I pulled off the landing but it was close to throwing me with the bike landing sideways like that. Is there anyway to correct the bike in the air? How do you do it? is it as simple as turning into to the lock and muscling the bike around??? Thanks for the help!

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
does your bike try to whip out everytime you come off a jump? even a small one? mine was doing that, so i tried new tires,,didnt help, tried decreasing rebound on shock,, didnt work,,, turns out my rear shock was so wore out it need rebuilt along with regreasing linkage. also, grip the tank/bike with your knees before take off, that helps a bit too.

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
Naw, it's only done it a couple times. I think maybe it was from keeping the gas on and the rear tire hit a slick spot and threw it sideways.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
ya that's pretty normal for it to whip out occassionally. The way I learned to control that was to practice making the bike whip on a jump I felt really comfortable with. That way I knew how the whole motion of bringing it back felt. Before if my bike kicked out I was helplessly floating but now I squeeze with my knees and with body english and throttle bring it back.

Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
anyone can give some help on this?

I also encountered similiar jumps as this when the lip was in bad condition and pretty much left it to God's will to land safely.

How do one "steer" the bike so that the bike will come back and land straight?

In the case if I can't straighten the bike back, I was told to turn the steering straight in the direction I'm going. Ie. Bike is pointing to the right, so when landing, turn the handle bar to the left so that it is if the bike was straight
in the first place. Any truth?

Anssi

May 20, 2001
In the case if I can't straighten the bike back, I was told to turn the steering straight in the direction I'm going. Ie. Bike is pointing to the right, so when landing, turn the handle bar to the left so that it is if the bike was straight
in the first place. Any truth? [/B]

Truth, yeah, and that will happen pretty much automatically anyways.

Just the first accidental whip is usually not too bad, i.e. you won't high-side immediatly, but the rear will fishtail violently to the other direction. Usually the best remedy is to get yourself up front and gas it. The rear will correct itself.

If you land off the gas and crossed up, the rear suspension will compress very low and then rebound violently, throwing the rear end to the other side.

static82

Oct 10, 2003
At the joint i ride at all our up ramps have rubber mats 1 meter before the transition running up over the lip. It works a treat, even hitting them in the wet. So loosing the rear end going up the ramp is a rare occurance.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Rubber mats on the jumps? Wow!

I have a harder time correcting an unitentional whip than preventing it. As Sixx mentioned, squeezing the bike all the way through the takeoff really helps prevent it kicking sideways.

I've been told, and it seems to work for me, to land front tire first if you're sideways in the air. That way you can have it pointed in the right direction and the back will tend to follow it. It's kind of tough to make yourself pull the clutch and hit the rear brake to force the front down when you're already a little sideways, but it does seem to help. Also, as Anssi mentioned, get back on the gas for the landing.

spuddybuford

Jan 31, 2003
I just make sure my front tire is pointed in the general direction I want it to go (straight, regardless of how severe the whip), and gas it on landing and it will "usually" track fairly straight when the rear hits. At a local track here that is helpful, there are several doubles just before some turns, works well in setting up for the turn

mx416

Nov 2, 2003
Turn your front tire in the direction your back end goes out. You can also move the bike around with your body. Make sure you land pinned too. Moving the bike just eventually comes naturally, eventually you will be able to throw whips. They are so fun.

Top Bottom