YZ250_#257

Nov 24, 2000
Hi

I was just wonder, My rear brake rotor is a little bent. I noticed it because my brake pads aren't lasting very long. I was wondering if anyone has ever strightend one of these using a press or something? Thanks.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Now this is one item that you can straighten without much of a problem. Get a large crescent wrench and clamp it over the bent spot and slowly tweak it back in shape. Good luck

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Also, you'll have a good feel for when its straight because you won't feel a pulsing when you hit the brake pedal.

YZ250_#257

Nov 24, 2000
MikeT

I can't feel it pulse. I think that you wouldn't feel it pulse because the brake caliper is essentially floating on the rotor. Is this right? because I can't feel it.

MoToMaNYz125

Apr 2, 2001
haha its funny on my 00 yz125 b4 i moved down here in florida,i was riding with my firend to show him around my house and something like a rock muct have hit my rotor cause i heard a tink and i just thought it hit thepipe, i got back to check out my wheel bearings and i spun the rear wheel around and noticed it was bent, i wouldnt straighten a bent rotor, so what i did was went out and bought new pads and an EBC rotor, ill let ya know whats up with it, id just buy a new one

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Hi Eric, should you use a crescent wrench, or a really big micrometer? (Sorry couldn’t resist, -see feeler gauge thread).

When disc rotors warp; the metal gets too hot & expands, either they get a buckle in them or the outside gets bigger than the inside they can ‘cone’ - the outside moves to the left or right. This will flex somewhat. Check the rotor is not coned with a straight edge to be sure.

Sadly dirt discs are pretty puny & don’t suffer being dragged for too long.

Check if it is bent by taping a piece of metal to the swingarm just about rubbing the disc, or even a marker pen. You will see if it is warped or not. I prefer to straighten discs on the wheel so they remain bolted to the flat plate they will live on. You then proceed to give them a tweek or a tap in the desired area.

I have seen a disc bent almost in half on “tree interface”. I would have tossed it but apparently the guy straightened it out with no problem so what would I know?

If your pads are wearing fast check that the disc isn’t heavily grooved & that the brakes aren’t dragging.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I have banged 'em close then put my rotors on a blanchard grinder to finish them flat.
I just have to shim the bend whilst doing the first side to create a flat datum.

Top Bottom