LivinLife

Oct 13, 2008
Hello just wordering if this is normal for a 2002 cr250 to have play in the rear shock absorber. It also squeaks but i got the answer a couple of threads down :)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
No, it is not normal. Sounds like you have some suspension work to do. The shock should have a bearing at the top, the rest of the bearings are in the knuckle that connects the shock to the link arms and swing arm. While you're in there you might as well pull the swingarm out (good luck) and lube/replace those bearings too. These all tend to wear at about the same rate, which is suprisingly quick if not lubed frequently.

LivinLife

Oct 13, 2008
Hello, Im just wondering if i can ride on the loose rear suspension for a while. Cause i just stripped the bike down doing everything but the rear suspension and swingarm, and i have not rode it in a while if you know what i mean :ride: Im guessing not cause i might damage something else, but on the other hand whats the worst i can do damage the bearings more?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
or possibly the swing arm, if you let those bearings go...

Or due to the bad bearings, you could crash and break an arm or leg..

Your call.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
IndyMX said:
or possibly the swing arm, if you let those bearings go...

Or due to the bad bearings, you could crash and break an arm or leg..

Your call.

That was my thought. I think he wants to hear it's OK though.

LivinLife

Oct 13, 2008
Ok guys you win ill get my tools/manual/parts and get er done. Should i replace all bearings in the shock absorber and two piece linkage system or the ones that have play in them. All the bearings that are fine just lube them up and put em on? Or what you said earlier they wear the same so replace them all? One more thing when i tighten the shock absorber back up the torque specs exceeds my torque wrench which the limit is 30nM. Should i tighten it by hand with all my might or go rent/buy a heavy duty one.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
They are cheapest when you buy the whole kit.. Might as well do them all at the same time.

Use a good waterproof grease on them.. And make sure everything is very clean when you take it apart.

You should have a torque wrench in your box that will cover the ranges you need, they're not that expensive.

LivinLife

Oct 13, 2008
Talk to everybody when everything is back together, and will tell you guys how it went. Oh and thanks for everybodys help.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
:cool:

I'm with Indy on the torque wrench. Invest in one that :cool: ranges higher than the on you have. For working on your bike a Craftsman torque wrench will be fine. They are around 60 bucks. Just for reference, a helicoil kit to fix a stripped bolt is about 35. You should have a higher range wrench anyway for the axle nut and steering stem nut.

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
of course you can ride with loose anything..just a matter of time before you take a header and wished you replaced it earlier...or stranded 20 miles from nowhere... any bearing or bushing that has play in it needs tightend or replaced asap.

LivinLife

Oct 13, 2008
Hey everybody. Here is where i am at. Got everything apart and the verdict is to replace the bearings and pivot collars in the swingarm, shock absorber, and the two link system. All of them have play. I know Ouch :bang: I guess I should of cleaned/lubed them frequently which i am going to do from now on though, but hey im learning something on my bike everyday. Talk to everybody when its back together. :)

LivinLife

Oct 13, 2008
Hey guys just a update. The whole bike had to be stripped and the swingarm pivot bolt drilled/cut out, as well as everything replaced like pivot collars, seals, washers..... The bolt was siezed on the pivot collars and at both sides of the frame. Just a word of wisdom to all motorcycle riders, remove and lube the shocklink, steering head, shock absorber, shockarm, and swing arm bearings or pay later. I'll do it every winter now, i learned the hard way what can i say.

Mar 18, 2006
Sounds like you got that apart without destroying anything important. Well done. You can add wheel axle bolts to your list of "through bolts" to lubricate.

Top Bottom