briank1986

Jun 4, 2007
A buddy of mine has a 2001 KX250. He just bought it about 2 weeks ago. The rear spring is very very soft. We tightened the screw on the side of the shock. It made it stiffer to push down but it rebounded very fast.

Any suggestions? Could this be a blown shock? Could riding the bike with this problem cause more problems??

Thanks,
Brian K.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
That was probably the compression you changed.. You'd also need to adjust the rebound, which should be on the bottom of the shock...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Is the spring stock?
What does the rider weigh?

briank1986

Jun 4, 2007
Yes I think the spring is stock. The rider ways about 190.

IndyYZ85, when you say adjust the rebound. Is that the huge nut at the base of the shock?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
briank1986 said:
Yes I think the spring is stock. The rider ways about 190.

IndyYZ85, when you say adjust the rebound. Is that the huge nut at the base of the shock?

nope.. it's a clicker just like the one at the top...

briank1986

Jun 4, 2007
The one we adjusted was on the side of the bike near the Kickstarter.

We will give this a try and see how she tunes.

Thanks all!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you look on the bottom of the shock, right above the lower shock bolt (under the swingarm), you should see a clicker.. same side as the top clicker..

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
It should be on the right side of the bike. My rebound is set 1 click out and the top three clicks out. You should also set the sag by adjusting the rear spring tighter, do a search for sag and you should find something on how to adjust it. :yeehaw:

briank1986

Jun 4, 2007
So we tried tightening all the clickers we could. It definitely got harder to push down but it would rebound very quickly and still could hear it hit when the shock got stretch all the way up.

Maybe he does have a blown shock. Should he get it rebuilt?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
You need to start with the basics. Set the race sag. Set the clickers to the stock positions (usually around 10 clicks out from fully seated if you don't have a manual). Ride, adjust from there. Use the search here, this basic topic has been covered many times.

Top Bottom