Matty469

Aug 30, 2006
I recently acquired a 03 RM250. I am looking it over for a buddy of mine to ride this weekend. The rear suspension has very little travel and seems to feel like it "bottoms" out. No noise, but feels like it is fully compressed. I have rode for a long time, but do not know much about the rear shock. Could it be something simple like it needs air? The height spanner is set about half way. Any help would be appreciated.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Matty469 said:
Could it be something simple like it needs air?

Could be, but pure nitrogen is the preferred gas.

It takes about 150 psi.

Are there any signs of oil leakage?

Last edited:

Matty469

Aug 30, 2006
No signs of oil leakage. Just lost travel and seat height. It sat for a few months before I noticed the loss in it. You say Nitrogen is preferred, but in a pinch, would using air from a compressor work fine?

Last edited:

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
In a pinch air will work, but don't put anymore than 175psi in, thats all thats required and 150psi would be sufficient until you got it regased with N2.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Danger said:
In a pinch air will work, but don't put anymore than 175psi in, thats all thats required and 150psi would be sufficient until you got it regased with N2.

That's right. 150 psi is what I meant. Corrected.

The gas shouldn't leak out. It would be very unusual for a valve to leak. I'd bet that someone messed with it.

Matty469

Aug 30, 2006
I found out today that the gas was mostly let out. The guy who had it before me seen a friend of mine bleeding out his front forks and I guess he took it upon himself to do the same with his. Only he decided to do his back as well. That's a good case of not asking advise and thinking you know everything. I wish he would have told me before. Thank you for the input. How much does it cost to get the rear shock recharged with Nitrogen?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Fly me to Hawaii and I'll charge it up for FREE. :)

ActiveRide

Apr 24, 2005
If the bike has never been ridden in this condition you will mostly like be fine with just a recharge.

However if even one day of riding has been done I would recommend you take it to your local suspension shop and have the shock serviced. Once your shock loses oil or nitrogen it allows the seal head up and down inside the shock body. This usually rounds off the edge of the seal head giving the c-clip less are to hold onto and can cause the seal head to pop out past the c-clip. At the very worst you can bend/break a shock shaft or score the inside of the shock body.

I would get it serviced. It's a small amount to pay for your safety.

Top Bottom