Rear shock rebuild, where to get parts.....

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
The other day I took my 1989 KX250 around the block to chase after the bogging problem. All I did was ride around on the street...no jumps, no hard abuse and when I pull back into the drive I have oil dripping from the shock linkage. The shaft is also wet with oil...so it's gotta be either a ruptured bladder or blown seal or both.

So I plan on rebuilding it myself, only the parts from the factory for just the seal and the bladder cost about $125!?!?! Does anyone know where I can buy these pieces aftermarket possibly?

Oh, and any info on who manufactured the factory shock would help. (and who made the forks on this bike too!!)

Micah

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Click on the MX-Tech link on the left side and give them a call - they have a replacement seal head with a better design than stock and will probably have most parts you need.

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Micahdawg said:
Oh, and any info on who manufactured the factory shock would help. (and who made the forks on this bike too!!)

Micah

KYB would be the manufacturer of both components.

The 89 KX's came with 46mm RSU forks, the only year they were offered on KX's.

:ride:

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Sorry, but does KYB = Kayaba? And what is RSU?

I knew that 89 was a weird year for the 46mm forks, but even the later KX's never went with 46? I thought 46mm was one of the most common fork sizes used these days. One of the reasons why I didn't mind buying the seal driver.

Micah

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Micahdawg said:
Sorry, but does KYB = Kayaba? And what is RSU?

I knew that 89 was a weird year for the 46mm forks, but even the later KX's never went with 46? I thought 46mm was one of the most common fork sizes used these days. One of the reasons why I didn't mind buying the seal driver.

Micah

Yes, KYB is Kayaba. You'll see the "KYB" sticker on some of their components.

RSU = Right Side Up.

Kawasaki went to inverted forks in 1990.
And while there are many 46mm inverted forks, 89 was the only year the 46MM RSU forks were speced.
And yes, the 46mm driver will work on USD and RSU forks.

The XR650R has a close cousin 46mm KYB RSU fork.

:ride:

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I called MX Tech and he said a seal and bladder would cost about $45 for both. The factory wanted $120 for both. Thanks a ton guys.

Micah

Top Bottom