Rear Spring / Shock Absorber

jawx

Jan 10, 2009
Hey guys,

I have a quick question about the rear spring. On my 2006 KDX 200 I have a black spring. When I owned a 2001 KDX 220 I had a blue spring. The majority of springs I have seen have been blue. I have seen a few yellow and a few black like mine. My question is what is the big difference between these different colored rear springs? Are they rated differently? Thanks

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
probably so but as to what you would have to closely inspect it as racetech makes a small marking on their springs within the first few winds like 4.6 or 4.8 or 5.0 and so on

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The stock shock springs from 1995 - 2004 are sky blue. 2005 and 2006 are black (super dark gray). The rate is the same. Yellow would not be a stock spring.

Are you using the correct rate spring for your weight in full riding gear?

jawx

Jan 10, 2009
I honestly dont know. The bikes suspension is completely stock. It is really soft as well. I weigh around 200 full gear. Im going to set the damping on both the front and rear to full hard and see how I like it. What would you suggest?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Have you set the sag on the shock? Are you familiar with that procedure?

I would stick with the stock settings until after the shock sag was set.

If you haven't done so already, you definitely need some stiffer fork springs. The forks are undersprung, unfortunately (even for a 160 pound rider). If you are not pushing the pace, you may be able to get by a while on the rear spring. It's about right for 180 pounds. 200 pounds and a decent pace / skilled rider is more 5.2 Kg/mm rate instead of the stock 5.0 rate spring. If you are already there, or think you might want one, maybe we can work out a trade for your stock spring, as I think I have a 5.2 laying around.

There are a jillion threads on here about the forks being too soft, but most people are pretty happy with the shock's performance. Neither end will ever work right without the correct rate springs. It is the same story with any new dirt bike purchase, as they just try to build it for the average weight and skill rider they think will by the bike.

jawx

Jan 10, 2009
No I havent touched anything yet. I dont know how to set the sag. can you walk me through it? Im not sure if I am ready to replace the springs just yet.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
To get the proper geometry of the bike, it is most common to set the sag. This means how much it settles when you are on the bike, compared to the distance when the rear tire is off the ground (as when it is on a work stand, NOT the kickstand).

Click here to read an excellent description of what I am referring to. This should help clear it up.

http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?cMenu=4&c=Yes&cSubMenu=11&showPage=dirt#3

If you have the service manual, it shows how to adjust it in the suspension section.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I see I made a slight mistake.

They show how to adjust the preload on the shock spring, which is how sag is set. Sorry for any confusion. The Race Tech link is very good.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey glad2ride,if that gentleman is not interested in your 5.2 spring,I am.I am 240 lbs.and just getting back into riding.I'm still pretty squidly,but I'm starting to ride harder.I seem to be able to keep up with the average 45 to 50 year olds at the track.(I'm 47) I've got the sag set correctly,but I had to compress the spring about halfway (or more) down the threads to do it.The spring is blue so I assume it is the stock spring.A trade would be awesome as I am not a rich man.Let me know if the other guy does not want it,please.Thanks!!
Jim(flapwick)
P.S..................got any fork springs???

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Hi. A 5.2 would not be the correct rate for your weight. What is your weight in full riding gear? Generally, it is "add .2 Kg/mm spring rate for each 25 pounds of additional weight." For example, a rider who weighs 200 pounds in full gear would need a 5.2, 225 = 5.4, 250 = 5.6 and so on. That's a rough estimate, but something to keep in mind.

I don't have any fork springs for your weight, but Race Tech does.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Thanks,glad2ride.I appreciate the info.I hope to not weigh 240 for long.But I suppose I should have the right spring rate for what I weigh now,and not the spring rate for my magical yet to be attained lesser weight.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
You're welcome. Are you 240 in full riding gear, or is that in street clothes or what? Be sure to add on any pounds of tools or water backpack, etc. that you carry.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
I weigh 240 stark naked after having shaved my entire body and thrown up the grits and eggs I had for breakfast.
(too much info?)
Thanks for the tip about RaceTech.I went to their website and will order the proper fork springs (.48) and shock spring(5.4) after I get my tax return in about 3 weeks.The only gear I have right now are gloves,boots,jersey,and a helmet.All the wrong color,by the way.I had an old XL 185 that I fixed up and rode for about a year until I decided to get a bike that can handle my weight and returning ability.Plus I wasn't sure I would still like riding and didn't want to drag my 12 year old son into something he did not want to get into.Turns out we both LOVE it.In the last year and a half I got him a crf70 and sold it to get him an xr100.I'm now trying to barter with a cool guy I met at the track to get him a 1999 yz80 also.He's already beyond the xr's suspension abilities,but I don't think he's ready to give up the security of his xr for a 2 stroke rocketship.We rode it at the track and he was game,but very intimidated.I would like a kx85 for him as I hear they are the mellowest mini with the powervalve and everything,but I would have to sell his xr to get one(no barterers available)and I don't think he wants to do that just yet.Soooo...Thanks again.Any thoughts? Jim

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I would guess your gear weighs about 15 pounds.

I think a 5.6 rate spring would be correct for your current weight. You might want to take a look at the mx-tech.com spring rate calculator also. It is saying .48 and 5.6.

If you honestly think you will drop some weight, you might want to consider the .46 rate springs. I would err on the soft side. For your weight, skill level, age, intended terrain, etc., etc., it sounds like .46 would be better.

If you are interested, I have a 5.5 shock spring I could part with. What's your e-mail address? I can e-mail you with details. Thanks.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey glad2ride! My email is jimradwick@earthlink.net.The spring would be awesome,and I will take your advice on the fork spring weight as well.Can you wait until I receive the spring you send until I send the one on my bike?I got the fever (More Cowbell!!)and I can't stand the idea of not riding while springs are flying across the country.I will reimburse you for shipping as well.What color is the spring? Thanks,Jim
P.S. Will I have to adjust the rebound and damping again with the different springs?It seems like I would need to.

Top Bottom