m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
hey guys, right now im running an IRC M5B 110/90-19 on my cr250r. now i do a big mix of riding styles. i ride tight single track, which are rocky rutty. other trails that are wider some parts are rocky and rutty. then i ride sand pits and climb a ton of sandy hills and some hills that are ruts and roots and loomy. latly i have noticed that on my bike i dont turn with confidence as i do on some other bikes i have ridden. when i corner with my bike more so in berms where its not loose dirt it seems to grab really good and wheelie or stand up. i know you want good traction but i think its to good. plus the knobs on the corner of this tire are monsterous and its weird when im on hard packed dirt making turns. i dont know if its because there so tall and im going up on them? does anyone else on here run this tire and give me there opinion. whats a good tires for all around use? thanks for any and all advice.

-mike.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
if you are riding trails all the time, I had really good luck with the Maxxis 6001 tires. Work well and last a long time.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
yea guys, i picked up a dunlop mx31 110/80-19. i have to mount it up and ride. i dont know if im gonna be able to ride this weekend i bruised my ribs really bad when i fell riding this past weekend. thanks for the advice.

-mike.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
why did you buy a soft terrain tire? The rocks will just eat the knobs off it.

You need a hard terrain tire for rocks. Dunlop makes the 952 series, Maxxis the HT or 6001s.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, if you ride alot of rocks you need a hard terrain tire. I ran a dunlop 756 at a local trail appropriately named "Rocky Gap". It was the second ride on the tire and it looked new when we got there. It was rounded pretty good when we left after about a 30 mile ride. I just turned it around and avoid the rocks now. I think I might try one of those Maxxis hoops next.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
He rides in lots of soft terrain and sand in addition to places with rocks. He also has an IRC M5B and he's not happy with the performance.

I think for his overall riding, a soft terrain tire is the best compromise.

I ride in areas that are a mix of rocky trails and soft terrain, and the 756 and the S12 perform great for those conditions, IMO.

As for knob shredding, well, no tire is immune from that. IMO, much depends on the power delivery of the bike and the style of the rider. Smooth on the throttle and smooth power deliver = less knob shredding in the rocks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think I'd find a decent compromise tire for the front that you like, then get a 18" rear wheel assy and put a trials tire on it for the rutted, rocky hard stuff and put a softy on the stock 19" hoop for the sandy stuff. The trials tire should wear well and grip better in the rocky stuff and work in the middle of the road stuff then on those sand riding days you have the proper rear tire for that as well.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
yea dirt bike dave is right. i ride both. i dont bomb through and rip around on the rocks. these trails that are real rocky require a really slow pace. alot of chugging and crawling.

patman, thats a great idea. i was reading the differences on running 18" and 19" rims yesterday. the other thing is, is that the big open sand pits and trails are next to each other so i generally ride alot of both in the same day. part of trails are even loamy to. its a really weird combination of different dirt. thanks for all the help guys. now how about a good front tire, guess ill ask while im already here. thanks again guys.

-mike.

Top Bottom