russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
So im in the market for a new rear tire an d im not sure what i should buy so i was wondering what u guys would reccomend.I mostly ride woods,mud,and gravel for the most part not a lot of sand or big rocks or anything,also im replacing my sprockets and chain and was wondering if i should get new rear sprocket bolts too.thanks for your help.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Dunlop D952 is a good all rounder, you would only replace sprocket bolts if they've been abused with low grade tools or from coming loose.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
That old of a bike, new sprocket bolts are cheap. Get them with new nuts.

Chain, renthal r1 chain or the EK MRD chains work great. I dont like O, X, T or anything ring chains. dirt gets in the rings and causes binding on the chain very quickly. at that point, you need to throw out the chain or spend to much time cleaning it. Standard chains work best.

Sprockets if you are just woods riding, buy steel. Either inexpensive like JT steels front and rear or what ever you can find. Should be about $12-25 front-rear prices for steel.

Tires, great trail riding tire is the maxxis 6001 series. It runs a bit narrow, so go the next size wider. They last for ever and hook up great!

Paulathin

Mar 19, 2009
Matt90GT said:
That old of a bike, new sprocket bolts are cheap. Get them with new nuts.

Chain, renthal r1 chain or the EK MRD chains work great. I dont like O, X, T or anything ring chains. dirt gets in the rings and causes binding on the chain very quickly. at that point, you need to throw out the chain or spend to much time cleaning it. Standard chains work best.

Sprockets if you are just woods riding, buy steel. Either inexpensive like JT steels front and rear or what ever you can find. Should be about $12-25 front-rear prices for steel.

Tires, great trail riding tire is the maxxis 6001 series. It runs a bit narrow, so go the next size wider. They last for ever and hook up great!

I didnt know you could get a bigger size.. what if you have a 110/90/19? what woudl u get for that

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I'm a big fan of the Michelin S-12 for all around woods riding.

The Dunlop 756 is also good.

These are rated as soft terrain, but they work pretty darn good everywhere.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
you run the 120-19 for the wider tire.

just looked up the specs and the M6001 only list out now to a 110 size rear on a 19" rim. Hopefully they made them more industry standard 110 width size.

756 is a great tire, but get it in the rocks and you will chunk it. Same with the Maxxis IT. Michelins are good tires, but very terrain specific. Get them out of the terrain and you are better off riding on a flat tire. They also chunk easily out of the designed terrain.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Matt90GT said:
756 is a great tire, but get it in the rocks and you will chunk it. Same with the Maxxis IT. Michelins are good tires, but very terrain specific. Get them out of the terrain and you are better off riding on a flat tire. They also chunk easily out of the designed terrain.
Lots and lots of rocks over here.
I'll suggest some new tires from Bridgestone.
The 403 & 404 are advertised as intermediate, and I think work well when there's some moisture in the ground (somewhat skatey when ground is hard) but they resist chunking really well.
I'll be mounting up their new 603 & 604 (advertised as int-hard) early this summer when it dries out to see how they perform/last.

erklep

Mar 1, 2009
if youre looking for something a little wider at a great price, ive got a michellin cross competition 130/70/19. it was ran for two scrambles and then removed. great condition aside from one knobby being ripped off. let me know if youre interested and i can get you some pictures.

Top Bottom