B

biglou

Bob:

What type of terrain do you ride on and what type of riding do you do? What is more important, performance or longevity? Personally I really liked the Dunlop 756 rear on my old DRZ, but they wear very fast, IMO. I am getting a better feel for the Bridgestones on my KTM now, and I have also heard good things about the Michelin S12 and M12 tires. If you tell us what type of riding and what type af surface you ride on , I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers here!:)

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
I've got Michelin M-12's on my XR400. I'm VERY pleased with them. They hook up great in the soft sand I ride in alot, and they stick very good on the dirt/grass/hardpack sand. I have to do a bit of riding on the pavement to get to and from my local riding spot, and it seems the M-12's wear pretty good also. I've heard great things about the S-12's but you would have to be in soft stuff all the time. I think the Dunlop 752's and 756's are good in the soft and intermediate stuff too. Shop around and get a good deal, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get M-12's again next time. Good luck.

honda bob

Jun 1, 2001
well i have a IRC VE33 now which I think is the stock XR tire for my XRs model.
I dont ride in soft stuff all the time mostly woods and trails. I guess soft leaves are soft terrain though. Its just that alot of the guys I ride with have S12's I do like the way the tread is made on S12's I also like the H12's but I have never seen one of them out in the real world before. I just like the paddle look of the S12's, I mean they have to go good but do they wear quickly? I do like the dunlop 756-752 but they are also soft terrain.
It seems like all the hard terrain tires have wider and closer together lugs.
Does anyne have any experience with a hard terrain tire?
thanks for your replys and sorry for the lack of info.:think

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The Dunlop K 490 and K 695 are probably the closest I have used to a true hard-terrain tire, and I could destroy them in one ride. They provide excellent traction, but very rapid wear. Hard terrain tires use close, short knobs with a soft compound to grip the hard dirt and prevent tread-block squirming. As a result, they wear rapidly. Soft-terrain tires use a hard compound, taller knobs, and a wider knob spacing to allow the knobs to sink into the soft ground to get traction. The Dunlop 752s and 756s wear very well, and get great traction over a wide variety of terrain, but they tend to lose grip suddenly and without warning when leaned over onto the side knobs. I have used Michelin M 12s and S 12s, I prefer the S 12s. They wear well, and provide much more predictable limits than the Dunlops. Thye don't have quite the ultimate grip as the Dunlops in very soft dirt and mud, but otherwise work very well. Both brands tend to chunk and lose knobs in very rocky terrain, but I think the Michelins are slightly more durable in these situations.

honda bob

Jun 1, 2001
thanks for your replys.
I have been trying to make up my mind between the Dunlop 756 and michellin S12. has anyone else had experience with both of these tires? any of these tires? I just had a wreck and broke my arm so i will have plenty of time to choose. well thanks again.:D

Top Bottom